Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELICAL PROTRUSION ALONG A CURVE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richcad

Aerospace
Aug 20, 2007
US
I would like to wrap a spring along a curved surface. The helical protusion command only seems to allow me to choose a straight line as the axis.

Is there any way this can be accomplished in Solid Edge v19?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe you will have to use Wrap Sketch with a Swept Protrusion to accompish this. If your spring is long enough you may be able to take advantange of the Pattern Along Curve command also:

- Create a curve that represents the spring path

- Sweep a round surface along the path equal to the spring diameter

- Create a sketch line tangent to and at the start of the swept surface. The angle of the sketch line relative to the surface profile will control the angle of the wrap and thus the pitch of your spring coil.

- Wrap the sketch around the swept surface. Your line in the previous step will need to be long enough to wrap the full length of the swept surface.

- Sweep a protrusion along this wrapped path to create the spring.

You could only create a single pitch of the spring then pattern this along the curve path.

This is a pretty high level description so let me know if you have trouble understanding what I'm describing.

I have a sample Solid Edge v18 model of a "telephone extension cable" that I am willing to send to you. You can look at the feature tree to see how it was modeled.

Contact me at kpalexan_NO_SPAM_AT_hotmail.com Change "_NO_SPAM_AT" to "@" in the address provided.

Regards,

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back