Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

helical sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangmike

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2004
US
Does anyone know if it is possible to make a helical sweep follow a trajectory curve instead of an axis? I want to show a coiled cable bending. I am using PROE Wildfire 2.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mike,
If you want to bend a coiled spring... make your spring
as you would normally..helical sweep

then apply a spinal bend to it

if you go help on it , it has a example...but if you need more let us know

you will get some deformation... it's good for representation.. it's not going to be the true way a spring bends. as one side will squish and the other expands

Mike,

Check this thread554-67609 I like Ticks response use The Law of Curves....Variable Section Sweep with Trajpar

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea" Bernard-Paul Heroux

Just to add to TheTick and mjcole's respones to the aforementioned post:

Create a circle at the trajectory origin, right click on it and convert it to a construction circle. This circle sets the diameter of the coil.

Create a single line from the origin to the perimeter of the circle, making sure it is not snapped to horizontal or vertical.

Then create the relation from the Variable Section Sweep's sketch as mjcole pointed out (sdXX = trajpar * 360 * N, where N is the number of coils).

The resulting surface gives you an the edge which is the basis for your second VSS, which represents your coil.

I finally got it. I was able to make a variable section sweep along curves. Then I did a projection sweep to get my coil along the curve. Does anyone know if it is possible to vary the distance between the coils on the same variable section sweep? I used trajpar*360*N where N is the distance between the coils. Is there anyway to vary "N" for certain lengths of the sweep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back