Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Heliogen Awarded Exclusive Right to Lease Brenda Solar Energy Zone for Green Hydrogen Production 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmoreride

Civil/Environmental
Jun 30, 2019
US

Heliogen_Low-Angle-980x551_m5wg69.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, I think it's one sensor for each face of the furnace, anything more wouldn't make much sense. However, as to the latter point; that's only marginally better than blind control, since the slaved (I know) mirrors can get out of alignment from the one under direct control. As a guess, I could see the control system "testing" each mirror during operation by dithering the control to verify correct alignment. If there were, say, 1000 mirrors per sensor, it could potentially check the entire array in about 5 minutes (3 mirrors/second). Overall, it appears to be a pretty neat concept; I'm not necessarily convinced it necessarily is that much of a throughput hog, though.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

US-based solar power technology firm Heliogen has signed a project agreement with Woodside Energy, a subsidiary of Australian energy producer Woodside Petroleum, for trialling a concentrated solar energy project in the US.
Heliogen’s artificial intelligence (AI) enabled concentrated solar energy project is proposed to be developed at a site in Mojave, California.
Woodside has set a target to invest $5bn in new energy products and lower-carbon services by 2030.
To help achieve this, the company has decided to acquire a certain stake in Heliogen.

Thanks. That is a good link. My next question is, what kind of water do they plan to use? Those of us in the know understand that boiling water above 150°F creates problems for heat exchangers unless the water is very pure. This doesn't sound like it's going to be a very positive process if it requires distilled water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back