Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Helix Amendment 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

skaboy607

Mechanical
Dec 19, 2010
GB
Hi,

I have drawn using the helix and tube tools a copper coil for heat transfer-see image below.

What I would like to do is extend the start and end points so that I end up with this-see image below.

All I did to do this was create a datum plane at the start and end points, then draw the lines and apply the tube tool to each individually. When I try and apply the tube tool to all 3 curves, it doesn't like it because either they are not connected or are not 'smooth'?

How can I do this?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Instead of drawing a line right up to the helix curve, stop it short a reasonable distance and then connect this line with the helix using a bridge curve. You may have to experiment a little as to exactly what 'alignment' works best between the end the line and the end of the helix in order to get something which looks like it's what you'd expect to see in the real world.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Simple question-how do you draw your lines like that? When I click on line, I have define a plane etc but your drawings just start lines in the middle of nowhere!

I took advantage of the fact that both lines were going in one of the X,Y,Z directions and so I used the 'Line Point-XYZ' method for creating the lines. Then I just adjusted the start and end points to create the needed gap which I filled with Bridge Curve.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I've used associative edit arc length to "trim back" the input curves and then inserted a bride curve between the results in similar circumstances.

... then why is the tenth way what I usually have to deal with when working with legacy parts? ;-)

Technically, the glass is always full.

Are you sure that's the 10th way he was referring to? I have discovered there are many thousands of ways to completely jack up a model.

Speaking of whichthat's one of the bad things about the history feature: You can find out just which of your coworkers are incompetents.

Sometimes it's just better not to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back