Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello, help me deciding wich way to go professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaud

Computer
Feb 23, 2012
Hello, I'm 22 years old and i am a finalist in the degree of electrical engineering and computers, now I'm almost finished,only final projecto to finnish and i want to start working, there are my doubts about wich professionally area/sector i should follow me to focus 100% to be good it.

Because my degree is very general and we learn a little bit of everything in several sectors, which are the follows:
-Programming (software)
-Programming (hardware)
-Digital/Analogic electronics
-Telecommunications
-Computer Networks

According to current labor market, wich sector u advise me to follow? i like almost everything, so i want to decide the best sector to follow , the one that provides me better future, best salaries and ease of finding a job arround the world.

Can you help me?? Thanks,
Chaud

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

come back in 20 years and we'll be able to tell you !

i don't think any one speciality will meet all your goals. landing your 1st job will probably be the hardest. if you've got lots of fields that interest you, why limit your options now ?

and right now your fields are focused on technical aspects. what about mgmt ?

how about where to work ? where you are ? overseas (ie move to another country) ??

the key is to recognise opportunity and to take it (or not !?).

the hard work is going out and looking for those opportunities.

good luck !

==> According to current labor market, wich sector u advise me to follow?
I don't think you'll find the answer the labor market. You'll find the answer in yourself. One of the more important aspects of any job is enjoying what you're doing.

Where do you want to be?

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

rb1957 , ofc in first job i dont want to be rich, im thinking in future, wich sector will provide me better opportunities, because i dont want to follow a dead sector.

I from portugal, but when i get some professional experience,i pretend to work in other countrys, in europe. What u mean with mgmt?

CajunCenturion like i said, i like all these sections,i like engineering in geral, that's why i am focusing in sector with best carreer progression and facility obtaining a job.

Thanks for answers,
Chaud

i don't see any of your fields becoming dead ends in our life-time, but i would anticipate alot of change !

i'll read "pretend" as "intend" (ESL !) ... europe is a large place with lots of opportunities.

"mgmt" is management, as opposed to technical.

According to this labor market....

Take whatever job you can get!

Just kidding. Just find something with a stable company and a position that will expose you to as many aspects of the job as you can find. That is the perfect 'first job' because it will give you a broad amount of experience to learn from as you work on phase 2 of your career.

I'm not an EE, but the principles of a first job are the same all the way around.

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back