Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello, I'm an HVAC guy with a ho 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROCHESTER

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2002
US
Hello,

I'm an HVAC guy with a hobby of flight simulators. I'm working on some projects for force cueing hardware.

I use pneumatic cylinders pressurized by an I/P to apply a proportional force. This works great, but others don't have the option of compressed air. And, there are the hazards of working with pneumatics.

Question: Is there a electric actuator that can be driven to provide a proportional force?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here's what I did:

...got the cylinder/spool-valve mounted with the spring. Below is a schematic of the basic components. It's not an exact component representation, just basic concept.

force_actuator03.jpg

Here's the rig:

steering_column10.jpg

steering_column12.jpg

Here's a movie of the thing running:

Cool, I just learned that you can post pix directly to this forum!

"Venditori de oleum-vipera non vigere excordis populi"

Hello,

It's been a while, but I'm still plugging away at finding an affordable electric force actuator design. Thanks again jraef and jbartos for the ideas.

I've gotten the electric actuator test rig assembled and running. This is a 1/2 HP(0.4 KW) motor driven by a TBWoods "Variable Frequency Drive" (VFD) .

I'm experimenting with a "viscous coupling" to allow the motor to run at full load speed while providing a stalled torque output. I modified a automobile "fan clutch" on my test rig.

Initial performance is promising. The dynamic response is very good and the output torque is smooth and even. Now I need to gear-up the 2 ft-lbs torque to about 100 ft-lbs,

VFD_rig_01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back