Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help 1HP Electric Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwe826

Mechanical
May 19, 2004
US
I have a cable winch that I would like to drive with a 1 HP electric motor.

I would like to Run Motor Forward and Reverse.

Don't know how to do this... Have a Dayton 1hp Electric motor. Instruction say to Switch Switch T5 and T8:

Forward: (P1) (P2-T8-T3) (T2-T5-T4)

Reverse: (P1) (P2-T5-T3) (T2-T8-T4)

Would like to Run motor forward and Reverse for winch.
By the use of UP / Down Button From old winch. has 2 hots and one nutrual.
Any sugestions?? Are other motors better for this prodject?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Comment: If there is a need to operate the motor reverser by pressing push button to have it on only, forward or reverse, then remove sealing contacts M1 and M2 and Stop button.

is this setup on a bridge crane or similar and controls from pendant or is the winch stationary and operator station permanently mounted, if you want to do this from a pendant control then you will probably need to use a relay system but if it is a stationary set up then you need a drum switch that you can buy from grainger or similar

Hmmm, slightly off topic, but. . .

Careful with using AC motors on winch/crane applications, they produce very low torque when at zero speed -- when you release the brake you might find your winch drops the load. . .

For that reason cranes usually use either DC motors or, for AC motors, VFD's that can provide both high-torque and precise speed control at zero speed.

You might want to post some details on the mechanical side of your winch to be on the safe side.

Please keep in mind that I'm speaking way out of my area of expertise here, too. . . .

peebee is right about load falling. Whatever you do, be mindful that some smart person might just push both buttons at the same time.. interlocking up/down should be considered.

There is a potentially serious safety aspect to electrically reversible 1ø-motor application similar to the type described.

With regard to reversing 1ø-motor rotation, be certain that if the start winding is switched integral to the 1ø motor [with something like a centrifugal-start switch] that motor power is interrupted long enough the permit the centrifugal-start switch to reclose, or else the motor rotation will likely not reverse, but unexpectedly reaccelerate and continue to rotate in the previous direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back