Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help constraining a component to "moving" component

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacific123

Aerospace
Mar 6, 2009
US
Hello,
Done in NX6, I have attached a small assembly called CNC_machine_LIGHT, with 4 components as follows:

- frame
- X base
- X slide
-Y slide

I am trying to attach Y base to the X slide so when I "move" the X slide, the Y base moves with it. Somehow, I can't seem to find a way to do it. I have used touch and align constraints, as well as a bond constraint, but the Y base still does not move with the X slide. I wonder if you guys could help me with this basic assembly.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, here's an Assembly which will do what I think you want it to do. Note that I recommend that you Open the Assembly with 'Partial Loading' turned OFF.

Once the Assembly is Open you will be able to go into...

Assemblies -> Components -> Move Component...

...and select the 'X_AXIS_SLIDE' Component and once the drag handles display you will be able to move it by selecting either the XC or YC handles and dragging.

Now as an extra 'bonus', I created a second Arrangement in the assembly called 'Controlled' (the default Arrangement is called 'Free', which was the one you were in when you first opened the Assembly). To change Arrangements, go to the Assy Navigator and select the top-level assembly, press MB3 and select...

Arrangements -> Controlled

Now open the Part Navigator and expand the item titled 'User Expressions'. You will see 2 Expressions, 'X_Position' and 'Y_Position'. If you double click on either of the Expressions you will be able to edit the value. Changing these Expressions will cause the 'X_AXIS_SLIDE' to move, only now it's 'Controlled' by Expressions. If you wish to go back to where you can dynamically move the 'X_AXIS_SLIDE', just change the Arrangement back to 'Free' (now you now why they were given these particular designations).

Anyway, give it a try and let me know what you think.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John,

Thank you so much for your help on this assembly. I'll try to analyze what you did to understand better how assemblies work in NX. I wish the constraints were not bunched up together in the assembly navigator, it would be easier to understand which one goes with which component. For instance, in Solid Edge, you single click on a component, and it shows you at the bottom which constraint (relationship) is attached to it. I find that easier to work with... Oh well.

Clearly I got some studying to do!!.

Thanks again

I wish the constraints were not bunched up together in the assembly navigator, it would be easier to understand which one goes with which component. For instance, in Solid Edge, you single click on a component, and it shows you at the bottom which constraint (relationship) is attached to it.

You can do the same thing in NX. As shown below, just select the Component of interest, open the Dependencies panel and toggle on the little 'magnifying glass':

Assembly_Constraints_Shown.jpg

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks John,
That's the great thing about NX... it seems IT DOES DO everything most other softwares do (and more), you just need to find the little tricks here and there to do it.
This will really help me understand assemblies. Now back to the tutorials!!! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back