Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help required to find ~10hp ~12k rpm parallel shaft gearbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

mibsuhsnuja

Aug 12, 2018
NP
I have a simple problem(maybe isn't) but it seems I can't find the right gearbox. I need ~10hp gearbox with single input shaft and double parallel output counter rotating shafts. The output shaft should be atleast 12k rpm. The rpm of input shaft isn't a constraint as motor will be selected based on gearbox.

However, I can't seem to find such gearbox. Maybe I am looking at wrong place. Or is this something that has to be made custom made? If so, being a completely new in this field, how difficult would it be to make a gearbox if I procure correct ground gears from sites like KHK gears? I am worried about alignment issues, lubrication issues and IDK what not. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With a 2-pole motor (not sure if you are 50Hz or 60Hz) you would need somewhere between 3.2:1 to 4.1:1 increaser ratio. I am not going to spend time trying to solve your problem, but I would start by looking at synchronous belt or chain if I was trying to make something. I don't know if these will go that fast. Synchronous belt seems advantageous due to no lubrication requirements. Not sure of the lifetime required, but 10 HP at 12,000 RPM isn't a lot of torque.

@dvd Actually, I need two output shaft gearbox and I was having trouble finding such gearbox. Is it something that has to be custom designed or is available as off the shelves part? So till now my plan it to use 3-4k rpm T gear box with counter rotating shaft and speed it up with belt drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back