Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help - thickness of pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

braham0793

Mechanical
Sep 3, 2015
PE
Mistakenly buy 9 tubes of six meters in sch 40 de 2" in ASTM A106, when I had to be in sch 80 - astm a106, on this stretch of pipeline will flow water and is designed to operate at 10.3 barg. Meetings are threaded.
I wonder if I can work with these tubes or I have to be refused, considering in turn possess 10 tubes in sch 80 of the same law.

In all I need 19 tubes 80 sch.

Original text:

" Por error compre 9 tubos de 6 metros en sch 40 de 2" en astm a106, cuando debio ser de sch 80 en astm a106, en este tramo de tuberia va a fluir agua y fue diseñado para que trabaje a 10.3 barg. Las juntas son roscadas.
Quisiera saber si puedo trabajar con estos tubos o los tengo que desechar,considerar a su vez poseo 10 tubos en sch 80 de la misma norma.

En total necesito 19 tubos en sch 80. "

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I didn't run the calcs, but if pressure is the only concern, there is a lot of extra wall thickness for that pressure. Be careful as the designer may have believed that high mechanical forces would require thicker wall than that need for pressure alone.

Maybe it is OK.

Please tell us:
Design Code
Design pressure
Allowance for threading
Any other allowance (corrosion, manufacturing)
Any other forces?
Is it buried or above ground?
What are support distances?

Why was Sch 80 chosen?

Sch 40 is a bit low for 2" to resist mechanical dmage ( people)

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back