Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help w/Pump Sizing for multiple branches 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2002
US
I'm trying to size a pump for use in an aquarium system. The pump flow will be 2100 gph (35 gpm). The pump suction will come from a sump. The discharge of the pump will have three branches. One branch will be to a filter at 900 gph (15 gpm) and the other two branches will return water to the display tank at 600 gph (10 gpm) per branch. Piping will be 1" SCH 40 PVC. Can someone provide assistance as to how to determine what the TDH of the pump would be (35gpm @ XX TDH)?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The link points to a page on BigInch's computer, or on a part of his local network that's mapped to a drive on his computer.

Thank Mr. Gates for the confusion.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

BigInch -- A star performance and a great link which will be of use to point "new-hands" to in helping with some basic understanding in analysing pump selection based on their pipework etc. and making a pump selection using this information.

Thanks Artisi. The aquarium application is an interesting perspective of the pump-system design subject as well and its a nicely written spreadsheet. A lot of work went into that one.

Surprizing to see such a well explained, easy to understand and very complete design example with Excel spreadsheet on an aquarium site. [Pump vendors take note.]

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

HEC:

If I use the procedure you explained in you last post, how do I account for any liquid static head in each of the sections of the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back