Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with an stl file reverse engineering into a solid or surface 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

poolrod2

Aerospace
Jan 23, 2017
US
Hi everyone, I had a guitar neck digitally scanned for my daughters school project, to machine it on a router, but no matter what software I try, it comes out as patches of surfaces. Is there a way to make it just one solid or surface as if it was extruded from a 2d sketch?. Thank you all, any help would be great. stl and bad model image attached.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7f18f9a0-242d-436e-a804-cf22e9d9ec4d&file=Untitled.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If all you're after is the 2D outline to then extrude, then in my opinion it would be easier to use and HQ image and either vectorize it with another program or just sketch over the top after importing the image into NX.

I like using Inkscape to vectorize (see on how I do it).

Otherwise, cut sections through the STL and use that as the basis for what you're after.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX3 to NX11 with almost every MR (24versions)

Stl files will not appear in the part navigator unless you set the navigator to "history free".
It should be visible in the graphics.
Stl files will not create solids but " a faceted body". - Which you can section etc.
If you have NX11 you should be able to do some solid modeling operations on that faceted body.
( NX 10 & earlier cannot do solid operations on facets.)

Regards,
Tomas

@poolrod2 I don't see an attachment either. If you can get the file uploaded someplace, I could take a look at it.

-Dave

NX 9, Teamcenter 10

eng-tips-tips_zk3zda.png

:)
/ Tomas

Dave, this might work perfect, pushing it around, trying to get it normal to the original surface, otherwise, this is exactly what I need. Thank you for the help.

Hi
The above file illustrate a way to play with
view section save curves it requires a passion
you can save section curves in small steps
And then use surface through curves to build
a solid

Thank you for the help guys, I'm very close on this now, just have one area close to the heel that needs attention. This is from what Gunman sent me.
New_Guitar_Scanned_nx5lfc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back