Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help with an stl file reverse engineering into a solid or surface 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

poolrod2

Aerospace
Jan 23, 2017
US
Hi everyone, I had a guitar neck digitally scanned for my daughters school project, to machine it on a router, but no matter what software I try, it comes out as patches of surfaces. Is there a way to make it just one solid or surface as if it was extruded from a 2d sketch?. Thank you all, any help would be great. stl and bad model image attached.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7f18f9a0-242d-436e-a804-cf22e9d9ec4d&file=Untitled.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They way I did it, you pick the STL file, and then draw 4 splines on the part, think of it like a "square", and it will create a sheet. You can adjust the degree, and a couple other things, depending on the surface quality you want. So, I did this in various places, and then filled in the gaps with other tools.

-Dave

NX 9, Teamcenter 10

Gunman: did you try to create the whole guitar with only one surface? I did mine by using only one Rapid Surfacing feature as the stl quality seemed to be rather good. Or do you see some advantage on using several of them and then creating surfaces in between?

I've never had luck doing one large surface, so out of habit I did it in a few. Any chance I can see the NX file, where you did it all in one? Hopefully I can learn something.

-Dave

NX 9, Teamcenter 10

It depends on the scan quality which way I start building the surfaces. I create several of them too when the quality is too poor to create everything or most at once.

I can share the NX file, note that I've done it with 11.0.1. I share couple pictures of the surface pattern to get the idea what I was doing. I don't know what is the best way to create the pattern, this way is what I've learnt with trial and error.. Basically loose pattern/web where high resolution is not needed and thicker web where resolution is needed like in the variable radius areas in this model. I would be more than happy to receive any tips or better ways to use Rapid Surfacing also.

Model: pic1: pic2: pic3:

To get those "over-the-top" results you're looking for, I think you need to turn it up to 11. Seems appropriate.

gbangs
TC 8.3.3
NX 8.5.3.3 MP11

Thanks SS88, that makes sense. From the pix, I can see what you did, I'll have to try it. I have NX11, but only on a test machine...this will be a good test, as it has a very slow processor, minimal ram, and cheap graphics card :)

@gbangs cranking it to 11 makes even more sense with a guitar neck!!

-Dave

NX 9, Teamcenter 10

There is an enormous difference between a single feature and a single surface.
When surfacing, the aim should always be to create as simple as possible surfaces / faces.
Creating the entire neck in a single surface is fully possible for surfacing artists, but the result will be a highly complex and heavy surface which might not be usable for downstream operations. - Don't even try. :)

A single feature might contain almost any number of faces / surfaces, all hopefully as simple as possible. The resulting model is smaller ( MB) , faster and usable for downstream operations.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back