Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with interaction/model definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

OscarPacheco

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2015
ES
Good morning all and happy new year!
I have a problem and I need urgent help!
I am trying to simulate a whiplash in the cervical spine. To do that I have submit my model to a force of xxx Newtons (this is to simulate the aceleration) in the top vertebra.
After some hour the model aborts with this error:
The ratio of deformation speed to wave speed exceeds 1.0000 in at least one element. This usually indicates an error with the model definition. Additional diagnostic information may be found in the message file.

And I look to the results and this is what I see:
Captura_wmwxdq.png

As you can see the intervertebral disc does not transmit the movement to the vertebra of the lower vertebra.
The interaction at this moment is a tie intereaction between both vertebrae with the disc.

Please do you have any suggestions to keep the disc together with both vertebrae?
May this be a problem of material properties?
Thank you very much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would check the interaction definition - it looks like only some nodes are used in the tie constraint. Check the selected regions and the position tolerance value.

Hello Mustaine3!

This is the tie constrain I am using:
Captura_rrnvv5.png

I choose surface to surface discretization method and regardin to the position tolerance value I have chosen computed default (actually I won't know which value to put in the box). I selected the checkbox to adjust the slave surface to initial position, so that would be ok right?
what I do not understand very good the meaning is of the other checkbox? What would it happen if I uncheck it? The slave surface would be allowed to rotate? Does that interests me for my model?

Thank you very much!

You have a problem at a tie constraint and you don't know what the input means. Well, I would start reading the manual regarding these options.

Uses Manual 35.3.1 Mesh tie constraints

You might want to read the documentation (Analysis User's Guide and the CAE User's Guide, at least) on *TIE. Use Create Display Group to look for any warning nodes or elements and check for warnings in DAT/MSG files as well.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back