Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with pump selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

MariaRebecca

Industrial
May 25, 2015
MX
I'm going to use a hydraulic motor to move a conveyor. I've selected one based on torque and speed that it's needed. The specs are as follows:

speed: 279 RPM
flow l/min 265
torque: 3440
pressure: 260 psi

What I need to know is how do I know what wha kind of pump to use, and how to select the correct one to pair with the motor.

I'd appreciate any help . Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What type of motor is that? It has a very low pressure rating and very high flow. A pump that produces that sort of flow will be quite a lot larger than what you actually require if you go up in pressure and down in flow.

(you can't escape me)

Why not just contact a hydraulic motor / pump supplier and save yourself and others all the problems associated with such a simple request.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

hydroman247 said:
What type of motor is that? It has a very low pressure rating and very high flow. A pump that produces that sort of flow will be quite a lot larger than what you actually require if you go up in pressure and down in flow.

Eaton 10,000 series disc valve motor. I selected it because it works at low speed with very hight torque. But dont know much abot the pressure and flow issue. Im starting from scratch so I thought I should select the motor and then go backwards to the pump and so on...

Artisi said:
Why not just contact a hydraulic motor / pump supplier and save yourself and others all the problems associated with such a simple request.
Im absolutely going to do that. But this is part of a college project so I need to justify my selection.

Use a gear motor (hydraulic power unit) with a pressure-compensated pump set to deliver the required pressure and a proportional valve to control the output from the gear motor.

As a (now ex) trainer I would be happy to see the thought and work put into a project to establish what is needed, why and what you intend doing about it. Making contact with a supplier with all relative, correct data, presented logically would always win points from me, more so than running around in circles getting nowhere. Alternately request the necessary tech data / brochures etc from a supplier and attempt your own selection.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

We are pump supplier. basically, need to know your motor type and shaft size and use this pump for what? etc.
For more info. can contact via by e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back