Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Touch Screen Selection...Capacitive vs. Resistive Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ern1234

Computer
Jan 24, 2012
US
I am currently working on a project in which we are using a data collection device that is wall mounted. We are having trouble deciding between a capacitive or resistive touch screen. These are simple office employee data collection devices. My research shows there are advantages to both, but I'm not quite sure why most of our competition uses the resisitive touch screen. Are there compelling reasons to go with the resistive other than it is cheaper than the capacitive?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are the employee's fingers wet?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

fingers are not wet usually. The usage for the terminal could be in a wide range of environments from offices to warehouses.

Capacitive screens are like an iPhone. You need to either use your bare finger or a special capacitive stylus.

Resistive screens on the other hand can be touched by pretty much anything including a gloved hand if it's cold in the warehouse.

There could be some instances in which the employees would be wearing gloves....but I don't think it will be the norm...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back