Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with UG NX3 Genneral Fault Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_R

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2020
US
Hi All, New to this forum. I'm looking for help with a problem I'm with UG NX3 running on windows7. I know its and old version but we still use it and I depend on it.
I get a general fault error when I start it up. This all happened after I had a lock up. I know it an old version but we still use it for our legacy CAD and pump hydraulic design work.

I would greatly appreciate help on solving this as I'm deep into a project that is stuck without it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check what version you're running, but if my memory is correct, I think this was fixed in a later patch to NX3.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4 to NX CR with almost every MR (18versions)

What does the logfile say?

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

Thanks much for the though on the revision. I was running this for years and it just happened. Reloaded the software as the first thought, all patches in. A past thread gave the idea to move the files from program to another folder and redo the env. variables. All this has not been successful.
I'll keep hoping for a solution from someone out there!!

Hi NutAce, Thanks for this suggestion. The log file just stopped recording. Before this issue occurred I had an abrupt halt, the software "froze" up and then this issue resulted upon restart.

Have you done a recent OS update? Or installed/updated any other software on this system?

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Hi John,

So glad to get a message from you! From what I saw your the guy for NX.

The IT added ZOOM conferencing recently. No other O/S update to my knowledge. The problem occurred when I had a freeze up then restarted the PC since then the error came up. Is there something you think I should look at?

I'm only doing this vicariously as I retired over four years and haven't touched NX since I left Siemens (I didn't ask for a copy of the software nor was one offered). I just drop by here once in awhile to see what's brewing and to occasionally throw in my two cents worth.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Paul R said:
The problem occurred when I had a freeze up then restarted the PC since then the error came up
Sounds like a lockfile hasn't been removed. Did you try to clear your Temp directory? (%TEMP%)
If your NX is using a dedicated Temp directory then you need to clear that as well.

Ronald van den Broek
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Hi Roland,

This may be something, I have a UG bookmark file that is dated 4 days before the problem in the temp folder and it will not allow me to delete it stating the file is open in a NX component. What is the extension of the lock file I should delete?

No clue. maybe something like *.lck
What you could also try is close all Java processes in your taskmanager first.

Ronald van den Broek
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back