Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hi! I'm pretty familiar with MS Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

glubad55

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2012
CA
Hi! I'm pretty familiar with MS Project's basic features (not so much with Actual Work, etc) and I am having trouble getting my tasks to obey their contraints.
The biggest problem is getting tasks with "As Soon As Possible" constraints to do a true finish-to-start.
-They have dependency links throughout. 1-2-3-4-5...
-The first task is a "Start No Earlier Than." All others are "As Soon As Possible."
-They're set as FS with no lag, but they still wait for up to a few months to start. I can drag tasks into their place on the Gantt chart, but I could do that better on paper than on MS Project.

I can't post a screenshot because my photo doesn't have a weblink, but I have all tasks set to 0% for this project. I'll start with that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Without an actual worksheet, it's not possible to debug.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Hi,
I am putting together a construction schedule based on a unique working time of 9days on, 5 days off. MS Project 2010 does not seem to allow me to overlap exceptions from week to week. I can manually input this working time for each week of the month but I am searching for other ways of doing so to save time. Please advise.

Hi Glubad,

I threw one together to test, Pred/Succ linked with FS, no lag, 21 day durations on all eight tasks. I had to double click each task, on the popup menu click General tab, then ensure under the Schedule Mode: (Auto-Scheduled) button is selected. It was defaulted to "Manual Scheduled" on mine and same thing, predecessors didn't change, once I did this to auto everything worked as normal.

I then added three new tasks and noticed once linked they also followed suit and here is what sets the file to default to "auto schedule".
* Click "File", "Schedule", and under "Scheduling Options for Project", "New Tasks Created" and select "Auto Scheduled" in the pull down. This will set you up for each new tasks to auto schedule without clicking each one. To expedite this for what you already created you can either start over after setting the global options to "auto scheduled" and create new tasks or there may be a inserted column that you can set one task then Ctrl D (copy) down the setting, but I couldn't locate the field trying that. Otherwise if it's a small enough schedule just click each task. Best thing is to ensure it's auto scheduled under options for any new tasks and start anew.

Hope this helps sir.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back