Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hide all drafting annotations/views under a sketched outline

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmacca

Mechanical
Mar 19, 2008
AU
Is there a way to hide any thing on a drawing under a sketched area outline, like a circle or rectangle.

The best thing I have found so far is to use the area fill command in drafting to fill a sketched rectangle and then change the colour of the area fill to white. We have set up our colour palette so that white is just off white so it prints as nothing instead of black.

Before using this method I would like to see if there is a specific command or better way to do this.

TC8.3
NX7.5.5.4 no drafting plus licence

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@cmacca,
There isn't a command that I can think of that does what you want. I think the easiest way is to define a custom symbol with the shape defined & an area fill like you are doing. Then it's a drag & drop onto your drawing which you can scale & rotate to suit.

Anthony Galante
Technical Resource Coordinator

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.6, NX6.0.5, NX7.0.1, NX7.5.0-> NX7.5.5 & NX8.0.0 -> NX8.0.1

Why don't you simply create a 'Breakout Section' in your drawing view using that sketched profile as the boundary and selecting a 'Start' point just ahead of what you still want to be visible, allbeit dashed (using 'View Dedpendent Editing'), which is what I did in the example below:

Break-OurtSection.jpg

To learn more about what you can do and how to do it, go to...

Insert -> View -> Breal-Out Section...

...and when the dialog comes up, press the 'F1' key and then start by selecting the 'Overview' link at the top of the page.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi John, that's a good idea I didn't think of that. Unfortunately my view is a faceted representation and it looks like the break-out section command cannot select these types of views. The view is of a large motor and transmission assembly and we have found changing it to a "normal" view makes the view updates far too slow.

One other thing that you can do with views of complex assemblies is to make sure that all of the totally non-visible components have been hidden using...

Assemblies -> Context Control -> Hide Components in View...

...from the Drawing views in which they are not visible. While it is true that hidden-line removal has already removed all the edges of the component in the view, the fact that any time you update the view all of those component must still be processed which will impact performance, so it's generally worth the time and effort to cull from the view any and all of the non-visible components.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back