Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hide the bend lines sketch in a drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

How I can hide the sketch in a drawing?, I am using

part.SelectByID "Líneas de pliegue1@Chapa Desplegada1@chapa2-1@Vista de dibujo1", "SKETCH", 0, 0, 0

part.BlankSketch

But it doesn´t work

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sketches converted into features become hidden automatically. Sketches not converted into features are kept visible. To change their state:
- Go to the feature tree (left side of the screen) and right-click on the sketch icon.
- In the pop-up menu you find the option: Hide sketch (if it is visible) or Show sketch (if it is hidden).
0 Click on the option to change the visibility state.

Marc3 is correct that a sketch becomes automatically hidden if turned into a feature and that non-feature sketches are automatically visible.

However, what caught my eye was the title of this request and that is "hide bend lines in a drawing". When we make sheetmetal parts we automatically make two configurations; Formed and Flattened. This is so that in our drawings we can show the formed part that we want and on a separate sheet, for reference only, we show the flat pattern. We are careful to indicate on this flat pattern the method used for its derivation, i.e., K-factor of .3214 with bend radius of .060" and material thickness of aluminum of .063", etc.

On this flat pattern we like to show the bend lines so that we can show a dimension from the reference edge and denote BU or BD (for bend up/down). We just show BU or BD if the bends are 90 degrees, otherwise we put BU 45 for bend up 45 degrees.

To either hide or show the bend lines in a drawing you must expand the feature manager for that drawing view. Keep expanding the levels until you get to the sketch inside the Flatten-Bends sheetmetal feature. Here you can make the sketch visible or hidden RELEVANT TO THIS DRAWING VIEW. This is an important point. We initially thought that we could control the visibility of this sketch in the part file itself in the flattened configuration. However, this is not the case (and it turns out to be for good reason).

You can easily control the visibility of the bend lines in your drawing, but you have to do it from within that drawing view.

I hope this is helpful.

- - -Dennis D.

P.S. We often will draw center/construction lines in the drawing view and constrain them to be colinear to the entities in the bend line sketch. Then we hide the bend line sketch. This gives us more control over the appearance (length, style, density) of these construction lines.

Dennis D,

Not sure if you're aware of this but, before you hide the bend-line sketch, you can use the bend-line sketch to create your center/construction lines by using "convert entities", instead of manually drawing and adding relations.

"Convert entities" will automatically create relations.

And if you have a layer created, these converted entities will be placed on that layer (active), giving a little more control (linetype & color).

Barr

Barr,

Good tip with the Convert Entities. I use that all the time in part creation but I don't do that many drawings and haven't gotten in that habit. Thanks for pointing this out for all of us.

- - -Dennis

DennisD

Do you put the K-Factor, Bend Radius, and the BU/BD information on the flat pattern drawing manually or do you have a add-in that does this?

Geoff

Geoff,

We put this information on the drawing manually. I'd love to have an add-in, but don't know of one. If we could link these values to a custom property then some of it (K-Factor, bend radius) could be automated by placing the custom property in our standard notes.

If someone out there has some sort of tool to help with this please let us know.

- - -Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back