Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HIDROSTATIC TEST IN STAINLESS STEEL TUBING

Status
Not open for further replies.

vargaslu

Petroleum
Oct 26, 2009
VE
hi everybody.

I am preparing a document of technical specifications for hydrostatic testing, and I doubt with tests in the lines made ​​of tubing. Which standard applies for tubings? which test medium is used in the case of tubing for chemical injection or for CO2 supply.

If there is a related post, please tell me where it is

thanks.

V

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tubing lines containing process fluids at pressure are B31.3 piping code lines, the same as if they were made of small piping. Testing should be per that design code, or whatever other design code you're using if B31.3 isn't it. But in practice, it's difficult to FILL small tubing lines with water completely and then empty them completely afterward, so testing is often done pneumatically. Care must be used to design a pneumatic test to carry it out safely.

If test medium is water, pay special attention to the chloride content and SRB bacteria count of the hydrotest water and lay-up the system after hydrotesting. Poor hydrotest & lay-up procedures for stainless steels might result in MIC and SCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back