Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High 1X vibrations in all 3 axes in decoupled motor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

edison123

Electrical
Oct 23, 2002
IN
Have a 3000 RPM, 2 pole motor with following vibration spectra in decoupled condition. Both motor DE and NDE have high 1X vibrations in all H/V/A axes in decoupled state. The motor was running fine in coupled condition (a compressor) until it started showing high vibrations. Then the motor was decoupled and test run again with following vibrations. Any idea what could be the reason for these high 1X vibrations (and 2X in MDE - A)?

MNDE - H

MNDE_H_prlegz.jpg

MNDE - V

MNDE_V_t2408g.jpg

MNDE - A (2X)

MNDE_A_dwbeiv.jpg

MDE - H

MDE_H_f1ord3.jpg

MDE - V

MDE_V_fcxzhq.jpg

MDE - A

MDE_A_c4qp8e.jpg

Muthu

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The simplest answer is that a bearing is not okey.

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

@muthu,
Try investigating if your motor has cracked or broken rotor bars or shorting rings. I am not sure but we had one that showed similar vibration signatures a long time ago.

I can't answer that, because when I was doing that kind of work I used a stethoscope. :)
If you where really good you could even hear on the sound which kind of fault the bearing, I was never that good, didn't need to be either, either the bearing sounded okey or it did not then you just had to change the motor before it broke down completely.
Sometimes I just used a screwdriver, hold it as close to the bearing as possible and listen at the end of the handel. ;-)

Another fault that can give vibration is the motor is detached is if it is running on 2 phases instead of 3 but it wouldn't run for long if that was the case before the fuses would go, I guess you have checked that the windings are ok.

Albert Einstein

Could it be unbalance associated with the manner in which the unit is uncoupled? An issue with the key/coupling in the uncoupled state? That would fit the characteristics of high radial 1X vibration. The 2X vibration in the axial direction could result from an overhung unbalance condition from the coupling as well.

The motor was tested for soft foot while running decoupled with one bolt at a time loosened on NDE. The vibration increased by 2 mm/sec on loosening the bolt and reduced to original high value on tightening. The vibration dropped off only gradually on power off confirming there are no electrical issues.

Muthu

How large is the motor? If it was balanced by the weight addition method, perhaps it has lost a weight or piece of balancing compound.
A bearing failure also might explain it, depending on the failure mode.

I would think that if it was the balancing weights the imbalance wouldn't go away when it's rolling out without power.
How long has this motor been running?

Albert Einstein

edison123 Two options.
1) Vibration falls IMMEDIATELY to zero on removal of electrical input (volt, amp) to stator winding. Cause: coil failure in stator winding OR broken rotor bar (or perhaps multiple bars in adjacent slots).
2) Vibration continues after removal of electrical power. Cause: mechanical unbalance (missing or loose balance weight, broken fan blade, bowed rotor shaft, etc.)

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back