Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Current Bus bar to PCB mount Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

masa6614

Electrical
Jul 10, 2009
US
Hi,
I'm trying to get 200Amps onto a PCB, however space is somewhat limited and all the typcial connectors I see seem to be really oversized, and I just need one single connection, so I saw this online and thought it might work. However I cannot find out the part number or even the name of the part. I'm not sure if its a custom part, or they sell them with current ratings and various stud sizes. Does anyone know where I can get this L bracket with stud hole one one end and PCB solder pins on the other? Or any other better way to get this much power on the board easily?

Thanks alot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

> You really haven't given sufficient information about voltage, transient performance, switching characteristics, etc. to evaluate any sort of solution
> It's highly unlikely that you're going to get 200A through three pins; the current crowding would potentially generate so large an IR drop that'll swamp out your unspecified voltage requirements.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Thanks. yeah, thats why I'm trying to find out more about that part or similar parts, where they can specify voltage/current ratings, max temp rises, etc. But I currently cant even find anything or what a part like that is called and who manufactures it, Im currently thinking of using 'power taps'( ) , but wanted to look into other options.

My application would be 24Vdc nominal, with a maximum steady state current of 200Amps.

Maybe you can just laser cut copper plate to the shape of the circuit you intended to etch into the PCB.

I.e. copper 'foil' thick enough to carry that kind of current will probably be thick enough to be self-supporting. You might need a separate sheet of FR4 to support the components.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

masa6614,

Take a look at Automation Source Technologies. They make pancake motors. Their armatures basically are PCBs with very thick tracks.

They may be willing to help you.

Critter.gif
JHG

Don't forget to get pricing before you go too far with the Radsok products. Amphenol thinks very highly of that connector (and many of their other products too). I can almost guarantee you will see the price and move on.
You could have the part you posted in your first post fabricated for much..much less.

200A and "space is limited" on a PCB just doesn't sound like a good idea.

Just noodling around with an online via calculator, I'm guessing you'd need copper 'foil' with a minimum thickness around 37 mils. Can you even get anything like that? Can your board maker deal with it?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

i know,
for the output connector I was gonna use two D-subminiature connectors with 8 #8AWG contacts ( ) to distribute the power out to various places, but to get the power onto the board, I've got a single source, and so thought I could save connector space by not having to have a bunch of pins, but only a single point. And i'm doing my best to limit the board power dissipated to less than 20W, ignoring all these connector's contact drops, though i'm sure they'll start really adding up. And at the moment cost isnt too much of an issue til someone higher up says to find something cheaper.

MikeHalloran said:
... I'm guessing you'd need copper 'foil' with a minimum thickness around 37 mils. ...

This is why I suggested looking into pancake motors. The pancake motor sitting on my desk has armature tracks that appear to be around .010" thick. They can probably go thicker.

Critter.gif
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back