Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High density Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

chem55

Chemical
Aug 28, 2003
CA
Hi Friends:

Could you pls suggest me high density metal? I need to use heavy matel in chemical industry.
I found Maximum density of 16 gm/cm3 for Refractory Alloys 90-10 Tantalum(tm).

Thnaks,
Chem55

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You really need to give more information about its intended use if you want to get meaningful answers.

Tungsten, while meeting the stated requirements can be attacked by sodium hydroxide; in fact, there are certain probe needles used in the semiconductor industry that were formed by electro-etching in sodium hydroxide.

Depleted uranium has nearly comparable density, 19.07 vs 19.3, but is radioactive and toxic.

TTFN

The reason I din't mention DU is for what you might get in properties, handling problems and regulations will take away all the benifits that might be obtained. There is a world wide effort to remove DU from the scene. The only possible justification for use is for compact radiation shielding in place of lead.
I wouldn't even consider DU.

Platinum (21.45), Iridium (22.5) Rhenium (21.04) and Osmium (22.58) are used in specialized applications in the chemical industry. Gold (19.3) also has a few applications.

Rhenium is a very good choice for high-strength/density applications, but last time I checked it was very limited in its availability.

Alex

I need to use it inside and outside of the pressure vessel. I have propane gas inside the vessel and outside i have water.

Pressure vessel is immersed inside the waterbath and i dont have enough weight of the pressure vessel to keep immersed inside the water bath so i need to use any metal which is heavy in weight.

Thanks,
Chem55

Could you attach same metal (to prevent galvanic corossion) counterweight to bottom of pressure vessel? I would be concerned about rating/test cetification issue with pressure vessel from new materials...

Alex

Just seems to me to be much more effective to make the water bath jacket part of the tank and fill/drain or pump through as required, rather than coming up with some exotic material solution.

You've given zero information about the dimensions of the tank, but I'm guessing that you'll need something like a 1/2 inch thick wall to come close to beating Archimedes, which means that you'll be looking at trying to move hundreds of kg of tank in and out of the bath.

TTFN

sounds like a small bottle of propane(hardware store variety) is being described.

all of the plant rated bottles such as for fork lifts and such, and even lecture bottles of HP propane do not float...

perhaps you could better describe your process objectives?

Sounds like a p-chem experiment. The water bath may be the only way to create an adiabatic environment?

(gettin' in while the guessing is good)

nick

A variation of hacksaw's suggestion would be to pin it in place with loose clevis pins and use hairpin type retainers to insure pins don't come out on their own.

Jesus is THE life,
Leonard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back