Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

High-pressure compressed air line materials question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clymber

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2003
US
I have a client who wants to run a 5000 PSI compressed air line around the perimeter of a shop. Airflow of 50 CFM max are expected. Can anyone direct me as to what materials may be suitable? I'm looking at a 1" Sched. 80 welded steel pipe, but I wanted to check other options. Are hydraulic-type tubing systems allowed or would the potential for failure at a joint be too high?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Clymber,

You may want to rethink Sch 80. What piping code are you designing your system to meet? Is this a B31.3 or is there some CGA guideline that you are using?

From my experience most pressure piping at some point ends up with a threaded connection for something. Once you have calculated the necessary wall thickness for your welded pipe, calculate how much thicker a threaded pipe connected to the system will be.

I also, am wondering if someone thought through 5,000 air ? Wave compensaters on offshore drill rigs must use 5 and 10K air systems and they can be a problem : like detonation of compressor oil on the pipe surface- destroying 4",sch 120 A 106.
If necessary, see what Autoclave Eng and Swageloc have to offer.

Thanks, guys. This is a military application where they fill a truck tank to 3000 PSI which runs operations on that vehicle. I think the 5000 PSI requirement includes a safety factor. The only guideline I've found lists stainless or copper-nickel pipe. I'm really curious if I can get by with a seamless carbon steel pipe, possibly Sch. 80 or 160.

For some military/Aerospace use of air pressure systems (pressure vessels for example) they have to be internally painted against corrosion if they are made of low alloy or carbon steels. Therefore, I assume the same applies for pipes. But you should follow the appropriate MIL-SPEC. If it allows only stainless or copper-nickel then you can not use low alloy or carbon steels.

Presuming you need a relatively large linesize, Swagelok or Parker medium pressure compression fittings and stainless OD tubing would be an option worth considering. Why mess with welded pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back