Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

high pressure steam line sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

geliberman

Mechanical
Jul 2, 2011
Hi, we have a steam line supplying steam for some steam turbines,
we are going to take a new branch and supply 7000kg/h for a new installed steam turbine.
how can I check if the size of main line is enough or not?
the main line is 12inch
pressure is 48 bar.
the temperature is 430 deg C.
how can I calculate the total steam flow which can be supplied through this pipe?
Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Based on your system description, it sounds like you have existing turbines and boilers(?) and that you are adding a new turbine.

Steam systems are not like water systems where you can add or subtract breances from a main with little consequence.

I believe that you should consider a networked-based engineering analysis of your complex system. Computer software has been developed specifially for this purpose.

Here is one of many:
The addition of a new steam turbine to an existing steam system will drop the inlet pressure for all turbines. Improperly sized piping, strainers, control valves or other components can permanently degrade performence.....

Tell us more about your system....

As a ballpark figure you can assume a maximum steam velocity of 50 m/s. This would give you a pressure drop of about 1 bar per 100 m of straight pipe and a flow rate of about 190 tonne per hour in a Sched 80 12" pipe. As MJCronin has said YMMV.

Katmar Software - Engineering & Risk Analysis Software

"An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back