Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

high quality image

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinetti

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2006
DE
I've seen in this forum something about high quality images, but what I need to know is how to do it. I'm using the visualize shape toolbar, but can't manage it.Do you need a special package or it is with in the standard UG?.

By the way, I'm working under NX2 and what my client wants is to enlarge (to A0 or more) a picture of the machine for a presentation, but keeping the highest quality.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to have the equivalent of NX/Photo or NX/Render license to create high quality images in NX. The product has been renamed a couple of times over the years, so who knows what it's called now.

From what I can recall, Visualize Shape is like a "quick render" for real time usage or quick renderings. It's nothing like the full rendering capabilities, in my opinion. I'd suggest contacting your salesperson and ask them, just to be sure...that's what they are there for.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Did you try the "High Quality Image" under the view/visualization pulldown?

There is a "Photo-Realistic" method selectable which I've used. Not bad results and doesn't take too long.

There are also some "Ray Tracing" methods available.

Let us know the results.

Robert Hay

If I'm not misstaken I think I remember that "High Quality Image" is dependent on the UG/PHOTO license, meaning that the fancy methods actually don't work without the license. U will get a rendering but it ain't the quality to picked and it will not inform you about it either.

Could somebody confirm this?

Thanks for all the help.

We finally manage to get something good enough using the visualization menu (no extra licence needed for that) It isn't perfect, but adjusting the size to A0 we can keep good definition even printing large size posters. However the jpg file was 7MB, not all that easy to handle!

something to try for next time... increase your display resolution to the highest it can go (for example the highest mine will go is 2048x1536) and then do a screen dump (printscreen). Go into photoshop and paste it to a new image, crop it and save. Then bring your resolution back to normal :) (I have to do that quite often here). Makes for great image quality especially if you have to bring the size down a little.

you may want to try turning on anti-aliasing as well as adjusting the controls (AA/AF/ect) for your video card to "best image quality" if it isnt already to imporve it slightly.

if it's 2D you want get a freeware PDF writer and print it to a file :)

Azreal, you're correct. Unless you have the equivalent of the UG\Photo or UG\Render, whichever it's now called, selecting anything marked as HQI (high quality image) is useless because NX won't perform those bonus rendering "tricks". That's what the license is for....creating HQI.

If I recall correctly, this used to be covered fairly blatantly in the documentation.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back