Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Strength Bolts In Tension

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVE97

Structural
Jul 9, 2008
US
Hello all! I have been looking for and answer to this question and cannot seem to find it anywhere. I am designing a rigging system and need to use (1) 1 1/2" diameter A490 bolt that will be fully in tension (hanger connection) My question is do I need to install double heavy hex nuts to to achieve the full tensile load of the bolt. My load is 57 kips and the bolt is no problem for the tensile load but I am concerned about the shear produced on the bolts threads within the nut. Is this correct thinking or does (1) nut have the capacity to resist the 57 kips? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You only need a single nut, but it must be the proper one. When using ASTM A 490 Type 1 bolts, you must use ASTM A 563 Grade DH nuts. When using ASTM A 490 Type 3 bolts, you must use ASTM A 563 Grade DH3 nuts.

I always worry, when I hear of bolts being used in direct tension, if the designer has allowed for load intensification.

Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

An table in an old Sturtevant manual lists 3780 lb-ft torque for an 1-1/2 A 490 bolt (unlisted pitch), which would exert something like 160,000 lbs of clamping force. Similar to a grade 8 nut, so a high quality nut should handle that torque and load OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back