Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High temp alloy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimawi

Chemical
Jul 27, 2008
AU
Hi All,

We had a burner faceplate (Inconel 601) in a cement kiln that failed badly within a few weeks only. We know It's a harsh environment inside a cement kiln where you have high temp (up to 1200 C), errosion and corrosion (alkali metals and sulphure). The plate was eaten away badly and lost most of its thickness. I am wondering if there is a better alloy out there that can withstand these conditions.

Also, does anyone have experience with Tungsten? It was suggested to us that it could be a good candidate for such conditions.

Regards,
Kimawi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I endorse Ron's suggestion ~ 3 or 4 inches of castable refractory should protect the metal ~ remember to use plenty stainless steel ( or equivalent) anchors.

I would suggest you to have a look at "ASM Specialty Handbook Heat-Resistant Materials".
Of coures as Ron suggested you should coat you base metal with a ceramic coating. TaC, HfC, TiC or WC are good candidates to have a look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back