Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

high voltage generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlpeter

Aerospace
Dec 15, 2009
FR
Hi all,
we are realizing a project on helicopter that needs high Dc voltage for operation. The trick is that the generation must be compromised with low weight and volume.

One solution could be to install a 270V generator and a converter to achieve the desired -60/+600 Volts DC.

Do you know manufacturers that could be contacted to get practicable/alternative solutions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We need 25kW. No supply identified yet. In fact thats the core of my question. WHO would manufacture high voltage generators. Approached Honeywell and Goodrich meanwhile. Still wait for their response.

270V is low voltage, so searching for a high voltage generator will not help you. Again, without more info you won;t get much useful responses.

Did you ever work on flying platforms? For such it is indeed high voltage. 270V DC systems are defined by Mil-STD-704. I'm looking for suppliers which produce generators i.a.w. to this standard.
Maybe I'm on the wrong forum. I'll check the aviation forums.

I would consider an automotive alternator with a modified winding.
But, not all supplies are suitable for all loads and operating conditions. For example. No matter how dependable and efficient an engine driven supply may be, it may not be suitable as an engine starting aid.
WHAT IS YOUR APPLICATION?

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

In your search for a solution to the problem,
don't overlook very small engineering firms
with a total of 10 employees, including manufacturing.

I once worked for such a Company,
building very small electric motors

for the Main Battle Tank.

With a problem like yours, that would be my first choice.

I know a story from another person in communications technology. A tiny company had a patent which a very very large company was trying to buy from them. No deal.
That was a long time ago. Siemens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back