Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Highlight modified dimensions before to export in pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumboplume74

Electrical
Aug 20, 2012
FR
Hello.
I'm designer in optical connectors. Our drawings are in A0 format and contain hundred of dimensions.
For any new revision, my supplier is asking to highlight the modified dimensions because small bullets are not visible enough. But my old colleagues don't agree because drawings are "only" black and white...

Before to export in pdf, is there a way to place :
- views + dimensions in a first layer
- highlightings in a second layer (which should be activated or not by supplier) ?

Best regards.

Guy
NX11.01

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1f64598a-74c6-484c-b189-20aa6dce888e&file=highlighted_dimensions_in_a_second_layer.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One place I worked for had a custom script to help fill in the revision information. When you added a change bubble to a dimension, copies of the bubble would be placed in the top and left margins of the drawing; this allowed the reader to quickly scan the top & left sides to locate the revision on the face of the print. The same could be accomplished without a custom script, but it was nice having it automated.

Alternately, some (most?) PDF readers these days have the ability to add "mark up" comments and highlights to a pdf file. If you and your supplier are using the same PDF reader program, this may be a quick and easy way to highlight the new revision information/location.

www.nxjournaling.com

Hello Cowski
Thanks for your answers.
Your automatic script is an interesting idea. Unfortunately, I have never written script.

Regarding pdf readers ability to add "markups", I'm using that process today. It really helps my boss to control my drawing before to sign.
But as a good manager, my boss find always details to modify and I need a second time to place manually the markups in the second pdf file.
Double job...

I'm going to continue to search something existing in NX. I know there is a function to compare 3D models. Maybe it should work for 2D. Let's check.

Bye.

Guy
NX11.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back