hight of building and ESFR 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

natka24

Mechanical
Sep 26, 2003
US
Hi,

I've got a problem with building's hight. The first layer of deck is metal deck,trapezoid sheet. There is installed ESFR system. The distance from floor to the bottom of sheet is 13,7m. The height of trapezoid sheet is 135mm. And it is my question:
For ESFR sprinklers the maximum hight of building is 13,7m. Is it measure from floor to the bottom or top of trapezoid sheet??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry for my English :)

I'm a sprinkler designer from Poland. We design sprinkler system according to NFPA13, FM rules, PN-EN code, VdS code. The most sprinkler systems in Poland is according to NFPA.A few years ago I asked for something on this Forum. It is a very interesting place in

Hi Natka24,
I am afraid that I have no answer to your question - but I would like to know why you in Poland tend to use NFPA 13 and not the VdS, CEA (if you know about them) or PN-EN codes? Is it because the NFPA 13 has more design options?

Using the NFPA codes is in the most systems cheaper for investors. in PN-EN and Vds using 2 fire pomps are obligatory in most case of sprinkler systems. Addittionaly the NFPA rules have more design options. In new polish code (from 2005) there are no mention about ESFR or Large Drop sprinklers. In deutch rules VdS parameters for storages are worse (it's need more water) that the NFPA13 rules.

In Poland the sprinkler systems are disegned from only about 10 years seriously.

Anyone else can help me with my building height?

if you start to look through nfpa 13 you see examples that apply

in nfpa 13 2002 table 12.2.3.3.1 ESFR protection of palletized and solid-pile storage of plastic.

the height 13.7 meters is approx 44 feet.
which requires k factor 25.2 and a minimum operating pressure of 40 psi

does this help??

i was a little confused by your post.

Your comment regarding the trapezoid sheet is somewhat confusing.

Answer to your question: The maximum building height limitation is measured from the finished floor to the bottom of the solid ceiling (level at which the heat would begin to accumulate during the initial stages of a fire incident). Ceiling slope is critical; however, as a simple example.........you must use 13m as the building height for design purposes if the ceiling has a peak height of 13m and an eave height of 12m.

I hope this helps.

FFP1, thanks a lot. It was answer for my question. I'm sorry that I've confused you but it is fault of my no good language level :(

And what with skylights? If in my warehouse are skylights and distance from floor to the top of skylight is more than 13,7m cannot I use ESFR?

I have problems with definy building height (according to NFPA 13, table 12.2.3.3.1. The most warehouse with sprinkler system is 13-13,5m height so I want to know what exactly is NFPA's "biulding height". What with skylights?
The problem is that in Poland warehouses are not customize to sprinkler systems.

In my first post I've read about my problem. This is existing warehouse. Distance from floor to top of trapezoid sheet is 13,835m >13,7m (to the bottom of trapezoid sheet is 13,7m. Investor ask us about corectness using ESFR. This system was made by other company.The trapezoid sheet is 135mm height and top of them is over the limit (13,7m). How I can make the installation corectly?

Thank you very much for help. I will try write simpliest :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back