Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiring an engineer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHB51

Structural
Jul 19, 2004
US
I own a small structural firm and last week interviewed an engineer with good technical skills. He will be leaving a large firm after many years.

Maybe I am hyper-sensitive about certain comments made during the interview. For example; I asked him how much notice he would give to his employer. The response I received was "2 weeks, that's all they deserve".
This struck a bad chord with me, not the 2 weeks but the statement about that is all they deserved.
The other statement mentioned more than once was his boss was an idiot.

I try very hard to keep negative feelings out of my firm and I have been on both sides of the fence as an employee and an employer. I wonder how long it will be before I
become the "idiot" and his attitude that his firm is not any good. He worked at the firm for many years and if it was that bad then why didn't he leave sooner?

If an individual as this is hired my concern is future gossip, etc. which can de-moralize a whole firm if it spreads.

Am I too sensitive to this? I don't think I am since it goes against my basic character. If I had been him I would have never made those comments.
Any opinions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back