Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole Wizard shared sketch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jloeff

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2002
US
Is it possible to have multiple hole wizard features share the same sketch... when you add or delete sketch points all hole wizard features referencing that sketch will update.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can have a separate sketch where the points from the hole wizard holes are coincident to the sketch points. Or just make the sketch within the hole wizard point sketch.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-05)

I can make the points reference another "master" sketch or feature and it works great until I delete a referenced sketch point or add new points to the "master sketch. The hole wizard feature will not recognize the added or deleted sketch points until I manually edit the sketch of each hole wizard feature that references the "master" sketch.

I have used design tables to control dimensions, but I'm not sure how to get them to control whether or not a sketch points exists.

Create one hole. Then create a new sketch of points. Then create a "Sketch Driven Pattern" using the hole as the feature and the sketch with points as the driving sketch.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXP SP2

If I understand correctly, you want one sketch to act as the master (or layout) sketch and to be used as a positioning aid for several different Hole Wizard holes ... not necessarily all the master sketch points will be used in every HW set ... and the master sketch points qty will vary.

If this is what you are trying to do you are SOL. [sad]

The points used to define the subsequent HW sets will still exist if you delete a point from the master sketch and will not be automatically created (i.e. not exist) if you add points to it.

I'm not sure it's possible, but you may be able to use the master sketch in a "Sketch Driven Pattern" so that all the points are used & then use a DT to "Skip" the uneeded holes.

As ctopher & Gildashard have suggested, the simplest way is to use a separate sketch pattern for each HW set.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Ignore my previous comment;
you may be able to use the master sketch in a "Sketch Driven Pattern" so that all the points are used & then use a DT to "Skip" the uneeded holes.
That would be for a "Feature Driven Pattern".

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

The sketch pattern should work...as long as you don't need to delete first hole. I'm assuming that these hole feature are on top of one another? In that case.....one sketch driven pattern is all that's needed.....just pick each hole feature to pattern...then reference sketch with points in it.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXP SP2

Thanks for all the input. I believe the best work around is the sketch driven pattern. I haven't tested all of my callout formats, but it seems that so far they work correctly in a hole table feature... I had some problems with the quantity when using the hole callout feature. Either way, it would be nice if the hole wizard features were more flexible when using design tables and configurations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back