Holes on Angled Surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRuggiero

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2007
US
Guys,

I'm trying to think of the best way to dimension from holes which sit on an angled surface to my A|B|C datums. I've attached my first shot, which I think is correct up to the part where I label the edge of my angles surface 0,0. How can I cleanly ordinate dimension the holes?

Thanks,
Pete

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As long as both dimensions 1 (shown on view A) from datum axis B to the edges of angled surface are basic I do not see anything seriously misleading in that approach, although if I had to use this method, I would probably set one origin at datum axis B (since this is the origin of datum reference frame A|B|C) and dimension all the holes from that point. I would also try to apply basic 45 degrees dimension to one of the axes of the holes and not to the top surface of angled plate.

My question however is: how is datum feature C exactly defined? Does whole eliptical hole serve as datum feature C or just its width or length?

There are also other methods. The one that seems to be quite simple is to locate just one of the holes (or one row of the holes) directly from origin of DRF A|B|C and apply basic dimensions from that hole (or row of holes) to other holes in view B. Since basic dimensions are not cummulative, the location of the other holes would be clearly defined.

Pete,
Pls give us some idea of what the funcionality / functional relationships are between the features & the datums, and between the datums. I am leaning towards an auxiliary datum reference frame based on my perceptions.
The problem with dimensioning from the edge of a plate (even with basic dimensions) is that people WRONGLY will believe that the features can be checked from the edcge of the plate rather than from the datums. In this case, I have used an off-part 0/0/0 point with basic offsets to the datums so that people don't associate dimensions with actual feature edges.

Jim Sykes, P.Eng, GDTP-S
Profile Services TecEase, Inc.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

Datum c is meant to be the short dimension of the slot

The box bolts down on datum a and is aligned to the mounting surface by two pins which go into the hole and slot datum b and c respectively

I was trying to stay away from adding more datums but i see your point

Jim,
What you said is absolutely correct IF "the holes" in PRuggiero's recent question are understood to be the ones currently selected as datum features B and C.
However my understanding was that he is attempting to tighten the relationship between the pocket and the pattern of holes at the angled plate. In that case simultaneous requirements and composite tolerancing may be useless.

I understand how simultaneous requirements would keep the holes and pocket together during inspection but I don't see how a composite tolerance would allow me to tighten the relationship between the holes and pocket while keeping the relationship back to DEF somewhat "looser". Unless you guys are saying I need to setup datums based on those holes and then do a second profile for the pocket to those datums....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back