Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hollowed Out Engineering Depts. 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
seriously, though it probably won't help any, i think you've got the opportunity to tell your boss why you're quitting so that maybe they can learn and the next guy won't quite so skrewed. mind you they can just as easily reply "quit y'r whinging" ... either way nothing lost as far as you're concerned.

just keep running towards the light (and pray you're not a moth or that the light isn't an on-coming train)

I was discussing the potential "exit interview" with a friend where I would have an opportunity to give feedback to the employer.

For some reason I feel like this is feeble, as I feel pretty insignificant and that my opinion doesn't matter. If they didn't value my opinion before, why would they now?

They had voice of the employee surveys but they went widely disregarded and passed off.

If they genuinely want my opinion though, I will give it to them.

There have been plenty of threads relating to what to tell the company you're leaving.

General consensus seems to be it's better not to burn bridges than to try and get things off your chest/improve things for those left behind. Plus, they probably don't really care what you have to say anyway.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

You're right, they don't value your opinion, never did, never will.

They would, however, be perfectly happy to use out of context or misquote whatever you might say in an exit interview, for the purpose of savaging your reputation with prospective employers. Never in an actionable way, of course.

Even if the HR weenies don't actively try to kill your career, your former colleagues might. Suppose you praise them all profusely during your exit interview. ... but forget one or two, quite by accident. Will those two feel scorned? Will they retaliate if the opportunity presents? You betcha.

There is absolutely no upside to giving an exit interview, even if they ask for it. ... especially if they ask for it.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Great points about the exit interview. I have chosen my words very carefully and with tact in order to avoid being misquoted or misrepresented.

I speak the the facts, and that's all I'm willing to offer up.

One question I do have though is about handing off my knowledge to someone else in the department. What sort of protocols are generally accepted in this practice?

I mean 2 weeks isn't enough time to tell someone how to do my job or run then through the fundamentals of metallurgy. Best advice I can give them right now is to learn how to open a book and do their own research.

I got paid to to do an extended handover after I'd left my last place.

Unless they plan on doing this I wouldn't worry too much. If they have someone appointed to do your duties when you leave then try and give them some basic idea of what you're working on and where it's associated files etc. are located. If no one is designated, then maybe make a few notes with this information in them and email to your boss or similar, maybe leave a hard copy on your desk when you leave.

Beyond that, I'd say it's up to them if they want more.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

"My plant manager kind of stared me down and subtly tried to convince me I was making the wrong decision. "

Or was he just thinking "darn, wish I could do that"? No, probably not.

"One question I do have though is about handing off my knowledge to someone else in the department. "

They should've been thinking about having double coverage on your job a long time ago. You owe them 2 weeks by custom only. I have had prior employers attempt to have me work weekends on contract to cover the hole left by my departure...the negotiations broke down when I wouldn't accept "regular pay" for my weekends, but wanted 2x pay instead...;)

So I started my new job at the company as a Facilities Engineer. So far I am loving it, but it is a lot of work. I was tasked with a few projects right off the bat and am really clearing out the cobwebs from sitting idle for 2 years since graduation.

I have a manager who really knows his stuff and is practical too. I may be OVER engineering things at this point, but I'm sure I will settle down with more experience.

I am really glad I took the leap of faith and hope I can really excel in the environment I was meant to be in all along putting my education to work. I just hope I'm not too rusty and the learning curve from being fresh of out college is still there even though I've have technically been in the workforce for 2 years.

Thanks for all the support!

One of the big problems with hollowed out engineering departments is trying to get promotions. I’ve made it an objective throughout my carrier to obtain credentials and skills germane to the trade.

After getting passed by for promotions, I started asking the interviewing manager what the problem was.

The way I understand it, hiring the managers aren’t sure from reading my credentials and work history what types of things I’ve done.

Apparently the managers here have such thin backgrounds they can’t understand common trade terminology and what types of work these common activities entail.

So, if you are applying for a job in an organization that is hollowed out, be sure you describe all of your previous experience in terms your wife can understand. That way hiring managers can too.

MBAs are given more weight in our engineering department than technical credentials anyway.

I wonder if that really means they ultimately plan to outsource all the engineering work.

There also give a lot of lip service to project management training, however I’ve found that if you plan a project here and your plan captures the full cost and scope of what it will take to do a job, the management uses that information to undermine the project by withholding resources at critical times.

Watch out for engineering departments where the Sr. Managers only technical interest seems to be bicycles.

Some of us in the post Flintstone era might find using ones wife as arbiter of simple language a tad offensive, or at least likely to be met with a thwack from a rolling pin, or PhD thesis.

Rather than generate elaborate conspiracy theories, why not admit that your face doesn't fit and then get out of Dodge?

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

At least the way I read it, kontiki99 simply meant 'in a way a non-engineer would understand' and was suggesting the use of more univerisal language versus trade jargon.

GregLocock,

I said "terms your wife can understand," you said "simple."

People without a background in the business tend to need things explained.

I do think you are correct though. Getting out of dodge is a good idea.

I'm doing very well there financially too. There is no particular rush. It's nice to be able to do it at my convienence.

I don't think the company made the best choices, talent and experience wise.

We have a lead engineer that told me he thinks the world is 8000 years old. I ran into that at the last job too. I know what it takes to get promoted in the South. It's hard to know when the mumbo jumbo magic cuts off and physical laws of nature cut in though.

It may or may not ever become a critical problem for them business wise. It's not like they do much more than shuffle paper. Anything major has to be approved by the FAA.

Listening to someone recount second hand nonsense at meetings like it was knowledge gained from actual experience can be kind of fun to watch too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back