Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hoover Dam Explosion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
hokie66-

You know that and I know that, but it made the news cycle. I don't think it was much of a transformer, judging from the smoke cloud.

OFG

old field guy

it's OK, there isn't any...[lol] Actually, I think they have about 50' 100' to go...

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Yea, they played it up on the local news but as anyone could see, it was just a transformer and the photos taken afterwards didn't really show all that much damage, just a lot of soot and foam covering the area.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

They surely designed for a higher ambient temp in that location. 40°C is the standard ambient design for electrical machines and there are 50-65°C standards. We do 50°C for marine applications.

Are those the same transformers installed in 1935?
Hoover_Dam-Explosion_75383_uhkfuk.jpg

Look closely, Transformer has only left 2 bushings, right bushing you can see the power line leaving, but not the right bushing.
Hoover_Dam_Explosion_36027_pcvjdo.jpg

Yes, that Right phase line looks like where all the action was. The insulator at the bottom of the power line leaving the station is all covered in soot and, as you noticed, the line from the transformer is missing.

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The transformer is different from the rest. Perhaps it has a flammable oil and the others do not.

Good question I guess. I assumed PCB's as well as other halogenated oils to be non-flammable but that appears to not be the case.

I don't think non/less flammable oil helps much in case of a high energy fault. It does limit the fire damage after the protection stops the arcing fault.
[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.transformer-technology.com/community-hub/technical-articles/1398-transformer-bushings-breakdown-mechanism-and-the-appropriate-life-cycle-maintenance-implementation.html[/URL]]According to studies, bushings cause 17% of all power transformer failures and are the third most common reason for transformer breakdowns. High-voltage bushings contribute 30% to all fires and explosions associated with power transformer breakdowns.

Since it appears that one of the bushings is 'missing' and the insulator that was securing that right-side phase line appears to be heavily charred and which would have been close to said bushing, it would seem that the bushing was indeed 'involved' in whatever happened.

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back