Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Horizantal Standpipe Hose Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2016
US
Question for anyone with better knowledge on this. Per NFPA 14, 2016e, 7.3.2.2.1 and the associated diagram in the annex describe the ability to eliminate a hose valve on the "other" side of a horizontal exit if all areas are reachable by a hose connection in an exit stairway.

If, on both sides of a horizontal exit, there are hose connections from an exit stairway that reach all areas of each side, does this eliminate both hose connections on each side of the horizontal exit?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say no. Combining 7.3.2.2 with 7.3.2.2.1, common sense says only one connection can be eliminated, provided 7.3.2.2.1 is satisfied.

On a more theoretical point of view, horizontal exits are dividing the building allowing for less exit stairwells. It is supposed that passing to the other side is equivalent to entering a stairwell. Therefore, if you consider them as equivalent to an exit stairwell, a connection is always required with the exception of 7.3.2.2.1. In addition, if there was no connection at the horizontal exit, in case a stairwell is inaccessible, there would be no chance for the fire fighters to reach a substantial part of the building.

That makes sense, thank you. The wording for me at least was a little confusing, and when I was trying to think about the why behind using the code line item on one side but not the other I was coming up blank but a stairwell being inaccessible, causing the need for at least 1 hose connection at the point of exit is very relevant. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back