Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Horizontal reinforcing in concrete block wall 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

J1D

Structural
Feb 22, 2004
It seems popular to use vertical reinfocement in conc block masonry walls. Horizontal reinforcement is used, as far as I know, for lintels and for joint reinforcement as well.

I have a situation that a non-loadbearing exterior wall needs reinforcing against wind load. Apparently using horizontal rebars is more effective since the wall has steel columns backing-up. Can anyone advise whether standard reinforcement bars are used horizontally? Is it as effective as the vertical ones?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. if it's okay, should the rebars be in pair to be placed under the face shells?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In your condition, we would use bond beams, spaced out at maybe 48" to 72" o.c. with reinforcing in the bond beam placed horizontally, with one bar serving for positive (inward) pressure and the other outer bar serving for the negative pressure.

The spacing of these bond beams is up to you, it just adds to the flex in the bond beam. Between bond beams we assume that the wall spans vertically and reinforce vertically as well. Sort of a two-way action wall.

I agree with JAE, but would add that you need to consider where control joints in the CMU will be placed. A properly designed control joint can transfer shear, but not moment.

DaveAtkins

In the UK there is a product called Brickforce, manufactured by BRC. Is this available where you are?

This has a longitudinal bar to each face of the masonry unit, so each layer of reinforcement acts to deal with wind pressure or suction.

It is available in galv. or stainless steel, and is laid every course or every other course, depending on your applied wind loads.

It is also used to increase the length required between expansion joints, as the reinforcement helps to deal with expansion and contraction forces.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, guys. Good points!
Since the steel beams/struts are also behind the wall(not touch because the columns are pretty thick), I'll utilize them, with anchors along the beams to CMU, to provide lateral support. The two-way action is formed as well. By this approach, I don't need concern the control joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back