Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hot Keys - alt R M ect....

Status
Not open for further replies.

UGDAVE

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2004
US
I am trying to set up one of my buttons on my space ball to move objects to a layer.

I know I can do the alt+R+M, but i also want the macro to select "class select" and "type".

any sugestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Figure out all the keystrokes needed to get what you want and record that into your spaceball macro. For instance, here is a macro that will select all solids and sheets to move to a different layer:

Code:
<Alt>+R <Alt>+M <Tab> <Space> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Up> <Shift>+<Down> <Enter> <Tab> <Tab> <Tab> <Up> <Up> <Space>

It takes a little trial and error to get just what you want, but after that it is available at the touch of a button.

(Macro is for NX2)

Has anybody had succes to map F8 to Spacepilot button under NX4?Couldn't find F8(Nearest orthogonal view) from any Spacepilots menu.

I'm not sure how the spacepilot works, but on the spaceball you have to make a user macro which will allow you to use any of the function keys. You then assign the macro to one of the buttons.

I don't think your macro will work in NX3. I understand about recording the key strokes, but my question was more specific, as in what would be the key strokes for the above command.

The specific macro may not work for your version, but the first part of my post still holds. Take your hand off the mouse and navigate with only the keyboard, then put those keystrokes into a macro. If the dialogs are designed to MS standards you should be able to do everything you can with a mouse using only the keyboard. Use the Tab key to move between controls and the space key to activate it. The shift, control, and alt keys may also come in handy.

I understand what you are saying, I have done this many time before. The question I have is in NX3 is there any way to generate a macro that will also "class select". Using the tab button does not work.

The tab key does not always work as expected in NX2, I was hoping they had fixed this in NX3. The behavior is probably a holdover from the Unix roots.

In the NX2 dialog there are groups of buttons. The tab key will move you between groups and the arrow keys will move within the group. I can activate class select to filter by solid, sheet, curve, etc. but apparently there is no way to get to the 'by color' dialog using only the keyboard.

Maybe NX3 is similar in that you have to use the arrow keys to move around? Another alternative is to try journaling (if you are running on Windows), then assign the journaling macro to a spaceball button.

Give Journaling a try. NX3 Journaling does not have a whole lot of coverage but each version of NX it is more and more covered. Journaling is also theoretically version proof. So a Journal file created in NX3 will also work in NX5 with out rewriting.

I got an email from a friend that gave me a variable to set for NX4 "UGII_JOURNAL_INDICATOR=1" that will display in the menus and toolbars if it is supported and to what degree (not covered, partially covered, or fully covered). These icons in the menu and toolbar will show up when you are recording a Journal file.

-Dave
PLM Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back