Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I cross the barrier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kksr47

Chemical
Feb 28, 2005
CA
Hello All

This is my first day on eng-tips and I have a question; an interesting one.

I did chemical engineering in 1990 and worked as an engineer for three different companies. My experience can be broadly be categorized into commissioning, startup and production operations. After working for 7 years in chemical industry, I joined an electronic manufacturing company and worked for them for 5 years(not as a chemical engineer). Unfortunately, the company moved out to a low cost geography and here I am looking for a job once again.

After giving it a careful thought I have decided to look for a job in the field of chemical engineering, particularly process and design. Last year I completed a master’s degree in chemical engineering and went to various consulting companies and asked them for a position to start my career from a scratch. But, so far I have no luck. The reason given to me by most of the people I talked to is the gap in “professional experience”. For a starting level job do I really need to have “professional experience” or is it something else?

Can someone identify the other reasons and give me some good tips about how to cross this barrier?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

kksr47
I have worked in the oil industry, specialty chemical industry and the semiconductor industry. I proudly state all the industries I have been involved with. They are not gaps, I have learned a lot from working in different industries. You are pitching your experience wrong. Did you solve problems in the elecronics industry, did you do statistical studies, quality control, safety? What did you learn that could be applied to any industry? Time management, inventory management, efficiency studies. Every job, even digging ditches has something to teach you, if you are willing to learn. I worked as a construction laborer before I went to engineering school. I learned a ton of stuff that I still use today. Think about that and rewrite your resume to reflect what you now have to offer after being in the electronics industry.

Good Luck

StoneCold

Much of commissioning is associated with instrumentation and control systems. You can easily tie it together if the electronic manufacturer is a control systems company or if you were involved in the "process" associated with chip manufacturing. Leverage your field experience. This is a soft area for many office process design engineers associated with the EPC (engineering, procurement and construction) business.

John

I would not worry about it. Getting a job can best be summed up as being in the right place at the right time. The part about working your way up through the company is just bs.

The economy stinks right now. The industrial market is really depressed. Many jobs were exported and the competition for the remaining ones can be intense. If the locale that you are in is depressed, you may have to move.

Keep your spirits up and keep sending out the resumes.

Stonecold is right: the pitch is wrong.

In addition to his comments, you might like to improve your vocabulary, and use some of the "now" phrases which might grab potential employers' attention. As an example, think of your experience in terms of "transferable skills" and call it that.

As Bimr said you need to be in the right place at the right time. If you cold canvassed the companies it could be that just do not have any vacancies. Try contacting recruitment agencies and keep talking to them so they know who you are and when the right job comes along your name is thought of straight away.

It could be that the companies that you are approaching are not suited to process and design that you are looking for. Research the company you are applying to and tweak your cv to match. I do it the other way with my cv being just a taster of my skills and highlighting how these skills and experience are relevant to the position in a covering letter. Brevity is the key, in my opinion, just provide hints that you are suitable and let them do the logic jumps.

Get your story straight about why you made your decisions, what the options were to you at the time and where you are now. Then use this to your advantage.

I too have an unconvential cv, that to the "right" company (small consultants) is a god send and to others (big EPC) can be a problem. I enjoy being able to pick up any problem and work out a solution by using my experience and research. In the past year I have done a fuel storage and distribution system, a fire investigation, a gas pipeline and a water storage aquifer.

You mentioned you were talking to "consulting" companies. If this is a correct reference then your experience has more in common with manufacturing, EPC, and the like. Usually when a consultant speaks to "professional" experience they want people capable of or a history of generating billable hours. In other words, they are looking for the individual who is not only technically competent but capable of making and maintaining client relationships and contacts. A mix of an engineer and a salesman. I have avoided "consulting" engineers in my career as my personallity doesn't fit into their mold.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back