Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you apply datum scheme to curved and irregular surfaces in engineering drawings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goppinath

Mechanical
May 13, 2022
IN
1.I believe Datum targets is make sense for this but can we accept this scenario also ?
2. 4X Datum B is applied but in 4 holes which hole axis is oriented with particular datum A face is not clear
3. Can we mention individually for datum A and B ?if not pls suggest better method
4. Datum D is applied at feature but datum feature is at MMB can we accept this ?
5.if we used 4X datum A as showed in image how to establish DRF
plaese help me to avoid confusion

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=34aeff2b-7ee9-4bc1-a9e9-1d37b13f65f7&file=query-2.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It appears to me that this is a case where the chosen datum features will not force the remaining features into a location and orientation where those related features will meet the requirements at installation. There is some other assembly constraint that is more important and is not being used as a datum feature.

It also appears there are two profile of surface tolerances for the same surface, one that applies "A<-->B" and the other to the entire surface. They have the same zone, so that's good.

The orientation of the holes is to the midplane generated by the 4 surfaces referred to as datum feature A. Because those surfaces represent a taper there could be a dimension from the intersection line or point to the holes, but the basic 155 dimension is a suitable substitute for location along that midplane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back