Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you correctly extrapolate slopes on a Tafel (log(I) /mA vs E /V) curve? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

iruvinov

Chemical
Mar 14, 2013
CA
Hello,

I was running a few linear polarization corrosion experiments on a titanium alloy in NaCl. Long story short, I got a funky - looking Tafel plot; the right side is almost like a corner. The program I am using (EC-Lab) extrapolates the slopes automatically but I still have to select which area it should extrapolate. Because of this corner-like anodic slope, my Ba value is very high.

Does anyone have any tips on what the correct way to extrapolate the slopes on a Tafel plot is? Sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Igor

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to specify how exactly you setup the linear polarisation- it might be a fault in your setup. Also at least roughly graph what you have so far.

It's not faulty setup because I got good results for a higher voltage sweep (0.5 mV/s) but this happened for the lower voltage sweep (0.05 mV/s).

Also, I'm not sure how to upload a picture of the graph - from what I've seen you can only URL a picture that's already up on the internet somewhere.

My main question is the extrapolation of the Tafel curve and how to properly do it.

Thanks!

Thanks SJones - the ASTM papers did help with this and with some other aspects of my research as well. And the paper metengr linked me to was extremely helpful as well. Thanks again! [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back