Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How do you handle or prevent health issues? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinDeSmet

Computer
Apr 29, 2008
BE
I love working behind the computer doing CAD but these past few months, I have been getting some health issues that cause me discomfort and mild pain, enough to throw my attention off.

Doctors are idiots. Since they seem to not figure out what it even is, let alone what I can do to help it. The obvious thing might be to exercise, but is that myth or fact? I can think of many possible things that could potentially crop up with heavy computer use: wrist pains, eye strains, neck soars, back pains, butt pains (which sadly I have), elbow aches, etc...

So, what do you guys do to help cope with or prevent health issues from getting in the way of getting your work done?

Certified SolidWorks Professional

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah, it's amazing how a cushion can help so much. Granted mine is a visco-elastic memory foam, pretty advanced material. But still we are in the 21st century and the best I can bet on is a cushion? Damn!

Certified SolidWorks Professional

Last job I had where they bought me a chair I opted for a chair without arm rests. The idea was very simple, without arm rests I could pop in and out of the chair faster so it was a lot easier to stretch from time to time as I am one of those people who can get lost focusing on a job and forget about time or exercise.

Fortunately I had a picture window to an empty field which allowed a change of focus frequently since I had my screen facing the same way the window did. This removed glare also. And the wild turkey and deer were an added bonus.

I've come to the conclusion water is the best CAD drink. Used to guzzle pop but I'm paying for that now. Even coffee has it's limits.

My eye doc has prescribed bifocal computer glasses for me. Top is for the screen and bottom for reading. I chose rimless so it is easy to peer over the top and see far away.

CSWP, BSSE

"Node news is good news."

get checked for osteoarthritis and get you some soma.

i have Spondylosis and it's a...well, pain in the _____ .
nerve damage and muscle spasms.

better posture, exersise, and a trackball is what i had to do.
along w/ NSAIDs and muscle relaxers.

I have to second fuzzdoug's recommendation...

I used to have frequent severe shoulder pain from flipping a Honda CVCC back in my youth, and really didn't want someone to cut into my shoulder to take a look, so decided to try to live with it.
It sometimes got so bad, especially in tense situations such as deadlines quickly approaching, that I would often pop out to the chiropractors for an adjustment, which did indeed help (for awhile).
I was then fortunate enough to find a GP who suggested I try Soma for the shoulder. For me it is a miracle drug, and that pain is a distant memory. Also fortunate for me, I don't get that "drugged" feeling that is a common side effect for many.

That said, YMMV; best to talk with your doctor about its suitability for your situation.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

// Yeah, it's amazing how a cushion can help so much. Granted mine is a visco-elastic memory foam, pretty advanced material. But still we are in the 21st century and the best I can bet on is a cushion? Damn! //

Check out the Gaymar (or Stryker, since the buyout) Sof-care seat cushion. I did testing on them, they're deceptively simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back