Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How ethical is it to give and receive gifts 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunmrao

Materials
Oct 1, 2000
IN
In India the festive season is just over and it will begin soon all over the western world. This is the time when in the corporate world there is hectic giving and receiving of gifts. In exchangs business favors are returned.How appropriate is it in today's society to give and receive gifts. I request the members to give their opininon Personally I am against it and do not encourage in the business circles that I interact with.

This being the festive season I hope it may be on top of everyone's mind.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A Happy New Year to Yo All,

I am glad to find that this old thread is once again active and during the festive season.

I am spending my New Year night reading this and will soon come back with my points.(maybe tomorrow morning!!)

irstuff,gerhardf,patprimmer et al,

You have kept this thread live and active. I note that ultimately the onus of ethical practice is on the individual. No amount of regulating is going to avoid the grey areas which can be exploited.

It would be wiser to create an awareness among the individuals and leave the rest to their conscience. At times it may be very difficult to make a decision, but having accepted to perform ,DO IT RIGHT.

This would go with most of us however there could be a few exceptions. There is an adage when all the five fingers in your hand are not of the same size how can one expect five different people to be similar.Dissimilarity is the way of the world or that God wanted it to be that.

In general, that's what we do. We have yearly ethics classes and the expectation to be ethical. In our line, the cost-benefit for being unethical is very poor, in any case. Only when the stakes are absurdly high, such as in the case of the Boeing lease arrangement with the USAF and Ms. Druyan will the be big issues.

However, there are certainly plenty of cases where the line is extremely gray and easy to cross, as in the case of Boeing and its problem with Raytheon proprietary data.

TTFN

In one of the big companies I worked with earlier, I could never buy lunch for my boss - he can buy for me !!! Good situation to be in, but I also had a few sub-ordinates !!!

In another country where I worked earlier, it was rude to say no to a gift - I used to come out of the situation, by accepting the gift (usually a huge pack of variety of sweets) and distributing it immediately to everybody in the office.

HVAC68

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back