Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How far do you commute? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadbridge

Civil/Environmental
Apr 20, 2005
IE

Just picking up on McCormick93 post (thread731-125070) on his two job offers he remarked that his commute was three miles to one of his job offers.
I was just wondering what distances other member’s commute every day to work and how do you find it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jakin said:
EngJW: Don't believe everything you hear about Detroit. Detroit is OK, has problems not too much different from most large cities.

What he said.

EngJW-
I LOVE Detroit. Last year for around 8mths I lived right in the heart of D-town. It was great, a 15min drive to work, lots of culture, tons of fun. I only moved to the 1st ring suburb I'm in now cause of my ex-housemate. The lovely women I live with now are phenomenal. (and the rent is no more expensive, and that's important right now.)

To any eng-tips users, if you are going to be in Detroit feel free to post in the Pub and let me know if you wnat some info on cool things that happen in the city. As I spend 90% of the time I'm not in the office downtown, I can almost always find something interesting.

Nick
I love materials science!

The nicest (in good weather) and strangest commute was a 105-mile (on the road) 70-mile (in the air) commute I had for one Summer. When the weather was good, I hand propped the old J-3 and flew to the site, landed on the property in rural Nebraska, taxied up to the building and tied down. It took about an hour and fifteen minutes.

When the weather threatened (Piper Cubs aren't Instrument rated), I drove (About 2:15 if traffic cooperated). Unfortunately, I drove more often than I flew. The flight was fanastic, keeping at 1,525 Meters (5,000-Ft.) and basically enjoying the scenery far below all of the commercial and military flights in a bright yellow airplane with the little Continental buzzzing out in front.

Had kids, sold plane...typical story.

I remain,

The Old Soldering Gunslinger

Current commute 5 mile, 7 to 10 minutes depending on the parking lot and the stop light.

Worst was a summer job, 2.0 hour from western Ohio to East side of Indy. Summer between high school and college. Let's see, why did I get out of construction and into chemical plants????

What do you pay for parking at work? I'm in downtown Los Angeles. Previous company it was $135/month (parking for the office building) and now it is $80/month (5 minute walk from the office). In both cases, the company offered a Pre-Tax Parking Reimbursement plan. Paying parking appears to be a phenomenon only occurring in metropolitan areas...

Parking in the financial district in San Francisco is about $250/month. Some employers will pay, but most don't.

Here in Marin county, the only parking garages where you are allowed to park more than 4 hours will run about $60/month.

I imagine your rate of $135/month is about what you would expect to pay in the East Bay (Oakland, Walnut Creek, Concord).

In Berkeley, I think they just take your car away from you, unless you have a peace symbol and run on biodiesel.

Current commute: 80 miles each way.

all on the interstate with no traffic, so i don't mind it.
i used to live in atlanta when it'd take an hour to go 15 miles.

i recommend good talk shows or books-on-tape.

42 miles each way when coming or going to my home to my office.

94 miles each way when going or coming from my farm to my office.

If I am going to a jobsite my commute cna be as many as 250 miles each way, though only 8 or 9 time per year.

If one plans one can use this time wisely
Books-on-tapes, courses Pimsleur Language tapes and amateur radio.

Vita sine litteris mors est.

Omaha, $1560/yr reserved space, open lot, 200' to office

Tucson, $560/yr, hunting license in parking garage under cover, 800 yds to office.

Both parking permits were paid in pre-tax dollars.

I remain,

The Old Soldering Gunslinger

My best commute was about 30 miles along A1A between St Augustine and Jacksonville, FL. Commute time was about 45 minutes, but that was ok, as the drive was very relaxing.

My home-to-office commute is 45 miles or 50 minutes. I rarely go straight to the office in the morning. If at all possible I go directly to a job. Some jobs are minutes away and some jobs are at most 1.5 hours away. Being a technician with a company truck (all expenses company paid) I don’t mind the drive times which are billable anyhow.

Techmaximus

some people really have it made commute-wise :) I am probably average with 20 miles each way and about 35-mins each way. Anything consistently over an hour calls for flexible start times to avoid peak traffic periods -- two hours of your life are eaten right out of your day and any more is a frigging donation of your time to your employer. Traffic sure sucks

Personally I am glad I live some distance away from work. A steel works, a large chemical complex, several shipyards and two power stations make for a lousy neighbourhood.

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

I'm 28 miles from work. Almost all intersate.
It's not too bad of a drive, as long as I stagger my day and miss the rush hours. I usuallt work 7:30-4:30.
It takes about 30 minutes usually. If I sleep in and work from 8-5, it takes 45 minutes each way.

David

Commmuting in my career thus far:

1st job: 23 miles, 25 minutes, mostly interstate but some rural highway.
2nd job: 18 miles, 20 minutes, almost an even split between interstate and rural highway.
3rd job: 9 miles, 12 minutes (8 if I try hard - grin!), 90%+ rural highway.

Why did I mention all three jobs? Because I was able to change jobs three times and never move from my current home! Woohoo! Sometimes, you get lucky.

~NiM

My worst was while working in southern Chicago and commuting from Milwaukee, WI. Mornings weren't too bad. I'd leave around 04:30 and arrive arround 06:00. Afternoons, huh - yeah right. I'd leave the facility in Cicero at 16:00, sit on the Kennedy for over an hour, wait for another hour in the loop, and then finally arrive home around 19:00...

The best - contract job for 8 months that was 3 miles door to door.

Current - 50 miles door to door. Light traffic, all freeway. It takes me 45 minutes flat both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back