Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Many Stories Have You Seen Lightgage Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic25

Structural
Jul 4, 2007
US
I'm in a mid to high seismic zone and I'm doing research for the preliminary design of an 8 story office structure. The developer's contractor is claiming they've used lightgage that tall on past projects, but I'm not convinced the lateral system will work in any seismic area. Strap bracing just wont cut it.

Am I off the mark, or is there some sort of special strapping system that can be used? The building is about 250' long with a stairwell on each end.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A guy in our office did a 6 story light gage building in California. The LLRS was sheathed shear walls. Sure Board is the name of the proprietary product... it's basically gyp board with sheet metal screwed to it. There's an ICBO report for the product.

My Steel Network catalog says they can go 10 stories using Sigma Studs and strapped walls. Never seen it done though, nor do I believe it can work in a high seismic area. I could be wrong.

If I am not mistaken you are limted to 65 feet in building height if you are using a sheating or straps for a LFRS as defined in ASCE7-05. I assume you could go to concrete shearwalls, but seems like a mismatch of systems, beside, what size studs do you end up with on the lower floors, 14 gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back