Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How many times have you changed Jobs? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyH76

Structural
Mar 14, 2006
US
Just a curiosity question I've heard engineers change jobs more frequently than other professions? So...how many jobs have you had, and in what time frame 5,10,15 20 years?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Swertel,
is that life without parole or life without pension?

Me, 30 years:
3 companies and countless positions in all till self employed.

Reality? most of that 30 years has been in the cycle of acquisitions and mergers so for me and my colleagues, no matter how much distance you try and put between yourself and a previous employer, sooner or later old and new become part of the same company.

I wonder what life will be like when the "focus on core values and business" cycle begins with divestments and sell off's?
In either case, a scramble for jobs and hoping to avoid the worst that management can do.

At my first company there were a significant number of "man and boy, and me Da (dad) afore me" types on the shop floor and in the engineering teams and still clinging to the old days of family ownership (and all the old practices; it were good enough for the old boss, and its good enough for me."). All their lives working for one company from leaving school, apprenticeship, time of for the odd war or two then back to the old firm till retirement (or beyond).
This was GE company when I joined, old Missus Bright having long ago departed this mortal coil despite the fond rememberings of the old hands.

JMW

15 years, 9 jobs

which includes 4 mergers / buyouts, 3 contracts, and a plant closing.

*sigh*

Of course, I also doubled my salary in that time too :)

Didn't we already have this question?

Seems like I've answered this before: 7 in 31, although the last 4 were actually the same job being shuffled around and bought/sold by big corporate entities.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Part of the moves is playing the game.

You leave a company, go work for a competitor, and come back in 6 months for a much larger raise and a promotion than if you stayed there. It is a sad reality that job hopping benefits the young engineer in gaining experience and raising salary. After a point, though, too many jobs on one's resume makes for a difficult sale.

Thus, I think I'm at the point in my career where I need to settle into this one, without parole. I'll just accept the meager 3% annual raise and the occasional promotion, be it title or grade level.

--Scott

swertel,

I have said the same thing for the last 3 jobs but it just doesnt work out that way, maybe I will be able to stay at the next job.

I hope you are joking about the 3% raise!

I suppose I've had 4 in about 3 years.

Intern in college turned into full time after graduation, but wasn't planning on staying. Then took a contract position for about 9 months, which I had hoped (and led to believe) would become permanent, but didn't. After the contract ended, I was job-hunting for awhile. Took a position that I was pretty sure I wasn't staying at for 3 weeks until one of the other positions I had applied for came through with an offer.

So I've had a total of four, but only two that I really expected to be long-term. And I have no plans on changing anytime soon from my current position. =)

interesting . . .

18.5 years (professionally) and 5 jobs - all in different states. but with one firm, i relocated 5-times in 7-years, which was a different job.

change is good though!! but, I admire the "long-term" employee - can nearly always count on them!

-pmover

csd72, I wish I was kidding. The largest raise is 5.5% and that is for those who are in the lowest quartile of their pay grade. Those in the medium quartile (me) get 3.5%. Can you guess the range for the upper quartile?

Grade level promotions (which I was due for last year and didn't get, nor did I get this year with my re-hire, but I better get next year) are about 8-9% in addition to the standard Cost of Living increase. In the meantime, health premiums go up 10-15%, so does the deductable, coverage is reduced, and I pay more at the pump. At least my mortgage is 30-year fixed. But sadly, it is those economic reasons that I move jobs and those same reasons cause companies to give lower raises. Why can they pay me more as a re-hire than what they could do at my annual review? Makes no sense to me.

I guess duration of stay would also make this thread more meaningful.
1st - fresh grad, stayed 2 years. Wish it was more.
2nd - stayed one year. They got me to move to AZ, but it was a bad fit from the start.
3rd - 6 years. I got too deep into the politics and needed a breath of fresh air.
4th - 6 months. Learned a lot about myself.
5th - back to company 3, but a new position and plan on staying a while again.

--Scott

pmover,

...I admire the "long-term" employee - can nearly always count on them!

nearly always... too funny.

And I actually prefer the new guys. They work hard in order to prove themselves and are very energetic because it is new and interesting. I have had far to many lifers that are considered "tenure" and are ROAD. (Retired on Active Duty)

--Scott

OK. Not very scientific because we included jobs & companies for the number of years in the industry. I averaged them out as if they were equal just based on the numbers listed. I didn't adjust for different positions at the same company.

This is the average and standard deviation for numbers of years at one company.
Avg = 4.23 years.
St Dev = 4.26 years.

--Scott

20 odd years/4 companies, last one as self employ/at least 5 different industry sectors, engineering seems to be the same where ever you go. Have to agree with the change jobs = step increases in reward. Started the Self employ bit to retain the technical work rather than under value of engineer in a manufacturing company..."we make things not engineer, so you are not as valuable to us!" I'm just twisted I think!

Mark Hutton

Three companies in fifteen years. Then striking out on my own for the next fifteen years. All my choices.
If you are dumb enough, smart enough, have the stomach enough, lucky enough etc then you can stay with one company and be a lifer.
It seems like most of my utility friends stayed with the same company.
I wish I had a pension.
Jim

First company: 2 very different jobs in 5 years.

Second company: 2 fairly different jobs in 9 years.

Third Company: Same job for 7 years.

Fourth Company (hopefully last): same job for the last 3 years.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" Oddball, "Kelly's Heros" 1970

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back