Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much is gasoline/petrol costing you at the pump? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadbridge

Civil/Environmental
Apr 20, 2005
IE
I was just wondering how much are your paying per litre for petrol?
What are the different prices from country to country taking government tax's?
Irelands €1.12/litre but its expected to go to €1.30 this Monday.
What's yours.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is your choice weather you drive a Hummer or an econocar.

It is not your choice what the price of gas is.

I think the price of gas around the world shows that Canadians have very little to complain about. The complaining is more of the headline then the gas price.

I bought a bike last week. I also sold my vehicle in August. I guess I got out at a good time.

My point being that Canadians drive very large inefficient vehicles because gas is so cheap. People in europe generally drive much smaller cars. Now with gas prices going up Canadians are complaining a lot about the prices. They are stuck driving the SUV in rush hour traffic and paying high gas prices. When actually they are paying one of the lowest prices in the world for gas.

If gas in Canada went up to $2/L then we can start to complain for now I will pedel on.

Pipelines are back on but not at full rates. Price of gas in Houston is starting to drop. How about Atlanta?

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

1.34 Euro/liter for unleaded 95
1.09 Euro/liter for diesel
and that's supermarket prices

Might as well take my bike to work and back, but if I grab a beer from the fridge afterward, that's probably just as expensive.

Just don't think too long about it.

QCE I don't know which province you stay but here in Quebec a lot of people have a little car but yes other have a big car. But it's like the weather, the people will always complain on everything this is humain nature. Never cheap on your contry or on the people like you do. I don't think you are the last good guy with environnementalist mind in Canada. But yes this is good for new technologies in transport.
In Montreal a big 4X4 is not a good idea. In the future the mind of people will be change or the new technologies will replace what we have now, I wish.

Have a good day

Just heard today that BP and Shell are looking at ways of ammended the price boards so that £1+ per litre can be easily displayed

An interesting thing happened last week in the Twin Cities (Mpls/St. Paul). When the New Orleans disaster was being reported, some of the stories were on how the oil rigs and pipelines were damaged/disabled. The next day, the price shot up from about $2.59/gal to $3.19/gal.

Then, the day after that, the local news started reporting that the Twin Cities only gets about 10% of its gasoline from the south, with about 90% coming from Canada. That evening, the local prices dropped to $2.79/gal, and have stayed there thru the holiday weekend.

Somebody please tell me that none of this is greed and price gouging.

denoid - can't tell you that one! Governments quietly like the increases. As the price increases, so does their revenue.

denoid - If supply goes down then price goes up it doesn't matter were it comes from. The price everywhere goes up from the reduction in oil from anywhere in the world. It is greed and price goughing but that isn't anything new.

Francois - What are you talking about? Are you suggesting I should not critizes Canadian's gas consumption habits because I'm from Canada. Because that is just riduculus.

My point remains - People use too much gas because it is so cheap in Canada. Instead of complaining about rising gas prices as is happening now in Canada maybe these people should look at there gas usage habits.

No You can critic it's OK I take firstly your remark like one attack about the people of Canada complain always and this is one think than I can understand my blood came hot very fast and if this is said by a Canadian it's a little worst because I hate people who shit on is brothers. I hate negative person like I thinks you was. But in your case it not look like this I'M sorry for my comment's.
I aggre the people who use a big pickup for the city is not very good, some people have need a big pickup but you forget the canada is wide and dependly where you stay you have need a lot of gas, (is't not a reason for big truck) exemple when I was young I stay 30 minutes of the first big cities and this grow up the need.
If you can pedal right go ahead is"t a good think but me I can do this. You are probaly alone me each morning my wife take is car (Corrolla 1.6 Liter) and me I must go with my children to the school ( 3 childrens). Thus we need two car and I change presently some habitute than I have but I don't complain about gas.

Sometime some people don't understand the good think and you see what happen.

I am unaware of canadians complaining about gas/petrol prices more than any other country and I'm not sure why QCE is yet again complaining about Canadians. The UK had petrol disruption due to protests at risng petrol prices a few years ago and americans are complaining a lot at the increase in gas/petrol. Canadians aren't the exception if they are complaining and they're certainly not the exception when it comes to car engine size.

A comparison of fuel prices is shown in the link for a few countries It's from June so is a little out of date.

Another link shows how gas prices in Canada (as its the hot topic) are composed in different states and answers some questions as to why they have risen so much
corus

I'm not sure what the problem is. I live in Canada. I hear people complaining about gas prices. I don't think it is justified when Canada has one of the lowest prices for petrol in the world. I think people in other countries that pay higher prices happen to have a better reason to complain. Does anyone really think that my critisism is that wrong? I do think Canadians complain to much about this gas issue. It is not an attack it is my opinion.

Corus I really enjoyed your 2 cents about something that you don't know anything about. That you for taking your time to do a 2 second google search and then talk like you understand the situation in the states of Canada.

"I'm not sure why QCE is yet again complaining about Canadians."

Are you suggesting that I complain to much. I think that you will be "shocked" that is usually me with the proCanada stance. You can appologize any time.

Witch procanada stance??????????

Don't forget Canada is a producer of petrole.
On 1.34$/Liter 0.39$ is profit for refinery. You can check the financial of shell or other for see wich profit they make each trimestrial. Taxe from gouvernement is not a problem for me, because they need it when you and me go in hospital, university and more

"he can appologize any time" you are generous to give to him this option

Do you have a fan club who give to you a star each time you write something. You had one because you write "Because I'm Canadaian." wow

Perhaps one of the reasons why people in the US and Canada are complaining more about the price of fuel now, is because there is a relatively low tax on it compared to the UK.
In a relatively short period of time the price of crude has quadrupled. In the same period of time, the price of fuel at the pumps appears to have roughly tripled in the US and Canada, whereas it has gone up by about 25% in the UK. It is this sudden change in expenditure that people are complaining about, even though the actual price in the US and Canada is still considerably lower. That is perfectly understandable from a perception point of view. (Please excuse the accuracy of the actual figures - they are intended to demonstrate a point rather than to give precise figures).

The protests in the UK were about the level of taxation levied on UK fuel. The haulage associations believed that this was making them uncompetitive with haulage companies in the rest of Europe. Even though the price of fuel is higher now than during the protests, it is higher across Europe (& indeed the world), and so it affects all haulage companies. Hence there is an opportunity to pass at least some of these costs onto the customer, and allows the UK haulage industry to compete on a more level playing field than if the price rises were due to taxation alone.

Francois B - I'm not in an arguement with you. The stars are not for each statement. The star was for the effort of traslating all the gas prices into Am $/Am gal. I have only received 1 star not many.

As myself and Corus are regulars on this site, I was refering to other postings where I believe I have always had a proCanadian stance. I think he has mixed me up with some other Canadians that have complained about the PEng system or the job situation in Canada. However this was not me and therefore I think he should check his facts, that is all.

This site is for people to voice there opinion. You can disagree and debate peoples opinions. I do not mind.

Hold the phone Trevor I know you said the numbers are not correct but lets get real. The price of gas last year was over 80 cents/L before the NO thing it was roughly 95 cents/L because of the cost of oil going up. The NO thing caused the price to go to $1.20. I think it will be back down in a short time. I don't see any tripling or even doubling. We have seen our prices go up by about 25 - 50% depending on what you mean by a short period (1year or 1month).

My point again!

Canada pays a low price for gas compared to the rest of the world. (I know the taxes are different but it is not important to the person paying the actual money at the pump - the price we pay at the pump is low)

Canadians are complaing a lot right now because the price is gone up. (I am not suggesting that Canadians are whiners just that they are complaining a lot on this issue.)

I personnelly think that people in Canada have been spoiled with cheap gas and don't think they should be complaining.

End of story. Debate me if you will or ask me to clarify my stance but don't get upset or write things that are not true about me.

Thank you - This is the end of me on this thread "How much is gasoline/petrol costing you at the pump?".

To put fuel prices into perspective...

Here in the UK, my daughter's school opened for the start of the new school year today. And with it, the roads filled up with people driving their kids the mile or so it takes to get there.

My point is that fuel prices can't be that bad if people are still using their cars for this sort of journey. We are due to cross the £1/litre barrier this week. I wonder how high the price has to go before people start walking again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back