Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to apply a moment in ANSYS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ME7

Mechanical
Oct 11, 2003
US
I am trying to model a bracket with holes with applied moments. First I am looking for an example tutorial in how to do this via the GUI interface. For example, I have a solid bracket that is L shape where top of the L has hole in it. In the center of the hole I would like to apply the moment. On the other end, I would to apply moment in the top section of the L where there is another hole, but the moment is in the plane in and out of the plane.
Thank you for time and help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
if you have 3D Solid formulation, the elements' formulations don't allow for the direct application of a moment because the rotational degrees-of-freedom don't exist.
Some softwares may have a commend to apply a "moment" to an entity, and then internal routines will provide to "convert" it to an equivalent set of forces.
If you don't have this kind of command, think of the moment as a force-at-a-distance and apply it like that...

Regards

Every couple have their moment. Use two forces as the couple to produce an equivalent moment. I don't know about ANSYS but if you're unsure of the load distribution or don't want point loads to be applied then apply a moment to a rigid body (ie. in freedom 4,5, or 6) that is in contact with the hole.

corus

Thank you for first taking the time to respond to my question. I believe the couple suggestion is along a similar thought that I had. I guess from an academic standpoint that money spent on Ansys license and for a product being on the market as long as it has, should be able to accomodate such a feature input. In one of the verfication 2d models, one can simply write in at the ansys command prompt and specify Mz about a xy plane on a simple beam. My point is it would be great to grab the areas on the cylinder with in the solid geo and under moments menu (newly created for beginners like myself) and select MZ along the cylinders axis and off I go.

I am investigate how to use constraint equations or perhaps another tip I heard is using mpc183 element. Fun stuff and thanks for the help all.

Hi,
that's just what you do with Workbench interface... If your model is created directly inside Ansys Classical, but you want to use the functionalities of Workbench, no problem, simply export the Ansys geometry via CDWRITE command, then open it with WB...
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back